- 2-3 years in operations environment
- Excellent understanding of server hardware and technology
- Good understanding of facilities infrastructure
- Good understanding of tape technology
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Excellent team and customer skills
- Good written and verbal communications
- Associates degree or higher desired

Will be setting up an interview shortly, besides knowing how to make network cables - what questions should i expect in an interview?

Comments

• Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    Sounds like a good opportunity to get a lot of experience.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Pay is decent, i just hate interviews, I'm currently trying to get CCNA certified and work @ a service desk (i hate my job but it pays decent)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No one can tell you what questions to expect. Totally depends on the company and the position. I think it's safe to assume you will be asked about server hardware, tape backups etc.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I don't have any expierence with tape backups - i mean how hard can they be? any website that has more information on researching it?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Google!

If you don't know just tell them. BSing your way is a sure way to talk yourself out of a job.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Google!

If you don't know just tell them. BSing your way is a sure way to talk yourself out of a job.

well i dont have any server installs or tape backup experience but the recruiter is still scheduling me for an interviewing - i don't think i'll be doing any configuration on the servers icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The tape backup question is up the software they use and is impossible to know each single backup software available, my suggestion would learn how to do it on linux which at the end of the day is the base of everything this way you can have a general overview of the tape backup process.

In linux would be a matter of Mount the tape, tar the file into the backup tape(/dev/wahtever), restore the folder/file you backed up, rewind and forward you don't need to know the in and outs of the backup process just to try to learn the foundations, the basic, the steps to make a tape backup.
    Read about the types of backup(full, incremental, etc)
    Read about SAN, NAS, Iscsi so you have an idea of what they are talking about in case they asked you.

If i were you and they asked me: what do you know about tape backups? i would tell them that there are many backup software availables and is impossible to know each single one available, but that i know the steps to make a tape backup and i know the different types of backups and describe them the processes and theory. If they need an SME in an specific software you are the wrong person to hire but if they need a tech with general knowledge that only need to learn the web-gui or cli of wahtever they are ussing to perform the tape backups they can choose you and you can learn very fast because you already understand how a tape backup works in a general way.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is this Going to be a Technical interview or not?

that's something you should ask the recruiter. I've been on both sides of the interview process quite a bit over the last 2 months and my exp is if its not a technical interview don't worry to much about it. What they really want to see is who you are, will you fit the team, what are you hobbies, goals, ect. In my exp if you pass that then they will want to do a technical interview. also come prepared with a your own questions for them, its your opportunity to interview them just as much as it is for them to interview you.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    chmod wrote: »
    The tape backup question is up the software they use and is impossible to know each single backup software available...

Read about the types of backup(full, incremental, etc)
    Read about SAN, NAS, Iscsi so you have an idea of what they are talking about in case they asked you.

Good advice. I would also learn a little about tape rotation schemes (GFS primarily), Disk-to-Disk, Disk-to-Tape, be aware of de-dupe (don't worry about the details).

This isn't for a Backup Admin role, so I wouldn't worry about the details too much - a Wikipedia level background if probably just fine. I also wouldn't be afraid to say that you don't know much about tape, but you are interested in this position so you researched it. If I were interviewing you I would give you points for taking initiative.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    chmod wrote: »

If i were you and they asked me: what do you know about tape backups? i would tell them that there are many backup software availables and is impossible to know each single one available, but that i know the steps to make a tape backup and i know the different types of backups and describe them the processes and theory. If they need an SME in an specific software you are the wrong person to hire but if they need a tech with general knowledge that only need to learn the web-gui or cli of wahtever they are ussing to perform the tape backups they can choose you and you can learn very fast because you already understand how a tape backup works in a general way.
    Thanks!! Perfect response