Options

Possible Bench Tech Job Salary Negotiation

XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
Ok, I've gone ahead & done it ... applied for my first (paying lol) IT job. It's for a Bench Technician and while I realize this may be a bit of a stretch off of my Networking path - I feel it will be a great opportunity to get some hands-on experience with various devices... plus likely assist me in getting (the rest of) my foot in the door.

I've come to the conclusion that a help-desk position should pay about $9/hr., but I don't have a clue how much something like this should yield and would really appreciate if someone could give me a hand here. icon_confused.gif:

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have no idea but good luck to you.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    $9 / hour for Help Desk would be way low, at least in my area. A lot of the starting pay for Help Desk or bench tech positions around here is $13-14/hour. Getting any experience will help, though.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    What area do you live in? Entry help desk in the Boston area should be around 40k for example.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on location......
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    webgeek wrote: »
    Depends on location......

I would ask for at least 14-15 an hr
  • Options
    staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Where I'm at the range is about $12-15 for Help Desk, $15-18 for bench techs, and then on up depending on your role in the networking department.
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    I have no idea but good luck to you.

Thank you!
  • Options
    To some:
    Yes, I realized it depended on location; however, I can base what it should be here by what it is in other areas and I needed the information quickly.

To all:
    Thank you for the responses. I believe this job began at minimum wage with a "supposed" increase to the usual $9/$10 hr; however, the $ was irrelevant to me. Since I'm earning nothing now lol, anything would be a pay raise.