Options

Are Cisco qualifications all that's needed?

alcaalca Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Would having a "BA (Hons) Spanish Studies" (totally unrelated, I know! icon_cheers.gif) and an "MSc Computing and Advanced Networking" (part of which is obtaining our CCNP qualification) be good enough to land a decent job in the network engineer/administrator area? I have been looking through job ads, and they all seem to ask for various other qualifications, such as MCSE and Juniper ones. Are there any must have qualifications that I have overlooked? Or will I be able to find good work with just a Masters and a CCNP? (I live in the UK, near London.)

Apologies for such a noobish question!

Many thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll need 2-5 years of good, solid networking experience for a decent network admin / engineer role.

Just how a degree is useless without experience, a certification will only show you have passion and know some concepts, but not having worked with it... You see what I'm saying?
    :twisted:
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, it's not as strong as someone with a BS and a CCNA, but it's stronger than someone with a Network+ and an associate's degree! I don't expect you'll be able to pick and choose between "decent jobs in network engineering", but you should be able to find some entry-level position, allowing limited access to networking gear. In other words, an opportunity to grow. :)

That would at least be the case in America. Hopefully it's somewhat similar over there.

I would add, I've found limited opportunities to leverage Spanish in IT, moreso if you speak some Japanese.