Options

After CCNA... Then what?

xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
I currently have 3 years Exp. in multi roles of Helpdesk, specifically in an office where there is only 2 IT guys and 100 + users. Basically I see first hand the role of a System Admin somewhere where there is low funds to have a proper IT staff.

Just passed my CCNA, and noticing only "Senior Network Engineer" jobs, or "CCNP" needed.

What would be some other positions to look for besides Junior Network Engineer (have had no real life experience with cisco switches/routers).

Have my bachelors, 3 years EXP + CCNA. What other positions would be good to look for?

Comments

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    You could look for a Network Operations Center based job as that is a good way to get some Cisco Experience in many places and usually has a good amount of room to grow from there.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You don't mention your type of degree. A BS plus CCNA would make your job hunt a snap.

I would aim for some experience before you pursue intermediate-level certifications. A no-experience CCNP can be tough to market. If you can't find any openings with your CCNA alone, consider other CCNA specializations.

Perhaps a role that combines sysadmin and netadmin work for now?

(That way you could leverage your three years of experience in a way you couldn't in a pure networking role.)
  • Options
    xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    B.S. in Computer Programming & I.S
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You shouldn't have a hard time finding an infrastructure position.

You have the CS degree which is strong along with very fine certifications. I'd look for networking and system positions. Good luck! (No more certs for now until you get that gig)!

JMHO