Options

Network+ before 70-642??

TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have 5 years experience in Desktop Support, and 1.5 years of help desk prior to that. I currently hold Sec+ & A+ certs. Looking to get back into studying for MCSA (MCITP: SA) 2008 after taking break a yr ago lol. I originally started studying for the 70-640 first but it just seemed like so much to take in with out having any real SA experience. So I'm thinking I might go with 642 first, but I was wondering would it be better to go do Net+ first?
B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you want the SA then I would go for 642
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    The 70-642 will be more Microsoft-centric than the vendor neutral Network+. The N+ will give you a good background for topics covered on the 70-642 but it's definitely not required...FWIW I'm working on the 70-642 right now icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    flash27flash27 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LoL I thought it was me who posted this. I have four years of Help Desk experience with A+ and Sec+. But I really have networking experience. I am studying for Net+ now and hoping to take it some time next month and pass it.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sitting the actual test would be a TOTAL waste of time and money IMO. It's an entry level cert and you aint entry level. Maybe read up TechNet and Wikipedia or something and that'll get you more knowledge than studying for N+ would. Go straight to the 642 or whichever MS cert you prefer.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    ahphotoahphoto Member Posts: 103
    TheCudder wrote: »
    I have 5 years experience in Desktop Support, and 1.5 years of help desk prior to that. I currently hold Sec+ & A+ certs. Looking to get back into studying for MCSA (MCITP: SA) 2008 after taking break a yr ago lol. I originally started studying for the 70-640 first but it just seemed like so much to take in with out having any real SA experience. So I'm thinking I might go with 642 first, but I was wondering would it be better to go do Net+ first?

Keep in mind that the option to get both the MCSA and the MCITP ends in a few months. With that being said, if you have 5-6 years of overall experience, and want to go for your MCSA/MCITP:SA, I would suggest you tackle it. Skip the Network+. Both are completely different, but your experience and the Microsoft certification will outweigh the Network+.

Good luck!
    icon_thumright.gif
    Ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Agreed, at this point in your career you will be just spending time and money on a certification that you probably will never gain benefit from.

I have my Net+ and i'm going to take the 70-642 in a few days, they are completely different. The only similarity is understanding subnetting and ipv6, everything else IMO is different.

Go for your 70-642 at this point. I usually pickup the MS book, read it, study it and do all of the labs multiple times. Realize that most MS exams that you will do for server 2008 there is not one book that will cover everything. So make sure and use other material to fill in the gaps.
  • Options
    tanya_whitetanya_white Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I totally agree with ahphoto as you already have A+ and Security+ certification along with the experience, I really suggest you to go for 70-642 certification. As compare to that Network+ certification is focused on networking so I suggest you to prepare for 70-642.