Options

Applied for a New Job Today

staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
For some reason I feel like I'm turning my back on my current employer. A lot of things have come up recently and I feel like they are just piling on their existing staff without trying too hard to actually hire more folks. On one hand, I feel really vindicated and figure that 'hey it can't hurt to apply.' The other side of me feels like I'm copping out.

The job title is essentially the same but the environment is probably half of the size with, hopefully, half of the stress. I guess my reasoning for this thread was to gauge what other's are dealing with for load. Right now I manage 7 sites, two data centers and a handful of sites just got added to my plate (with a super agressive deadline). They are supposed to be looking for someone to shoulder a bit of this load but that has amounted to only local advertisements with 0 interviews in 4 weeks.

Obviously this isn't the whole situation, but am I justified in looking around to see what is out there? At the end of the day, I love what I'm doing but hate the overload/inability to fully implement something and learn it. I want my name to be attached with quality work, not something that is rushed out to meet an over ambitious deadline!

Comments

• Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should think that you are the most important person, if you don't feel comfortable with the way your boss is running the business you should look for a better place to be.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Apply for new roles, life's too short to be miserable at a place. While you look for that new role, get that CCNA sooner rather than later so you have a leg up against the next candidate. Besides you appear to have had some great experience and finding a new role shouldnt be overly difficult. Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    staticzstaticz Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Apply for new roles, life's too short to be miserable at a place. While you look for that new role, get that CCNA sooner rather than later so you have a leg up against the next candidate. Besides you appear to have had some great experience and finding a new role shouldnt be overly difficult. Good luck!

I was about two weeks from taking the exam when work got in the way...go figure! I've definitely got the experience and college degrees for paper, certs are always frosting on the cake though!

Good luck on your VCP. We are a VMware shop. Among other recent projects we implemented a full sweep upgrade to 5.1 including an SRM implementation that handles over 600vm's. A learning experience, but fun none the less. I like working with VMware better than Cisco but such is life :P I got to do all of the SRM configuration so I was happy with that.