Options

Advice

UnoriginalUnoriginal Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone at TE,

Ive been reading the forums here for a while now kinda in the background. This is my first post and looking for some advice as I'm starting to get frustrated.

Wondering what path you would take or advise me to take for someone in my situation. I have a A.S. degree in Information Technology, emphasis on networking. Ive never taken a cert test or studied for them. I almost feel cheated from my college experience as that was never a push or even relevant in classes. Any-who, Ive been working for 2 years now as an assistant to the network administrator in a small to mid size business. My main job function is desktop support for the end users, but have gotten experience with basic networking, vpn's, messing around with AD, Ou's etc. Personally Ive learned more here in two years then I ever learned in college. I'm trying to find a job closer to my loved ones and having a hard time even landing an interview and I'm blaming it on my lack of education and certifications. I feel the knowledge is there... Just not the resume builders.

Do you guys feel that it would be wise to start at the bottom with an A+ cert first? Or try to skip that and move toward other certs. I don't know how accurate the mock tests are here, I did well on the A+ test (here) without any studying and just kinda winging it.

Also, Im undecided about what path I'd like to go in the IT world.... Im finding it difficult to find a "passion" if that makes sense and is becoming frustrating. My ideal job would be some sort of remote work. I grew up on a ranch in a very rural area and unfortunately that is not exactly the best place to find work. I'd like to return to the country which limits my options.

Any advice, Insight or just comments are appreciate. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pseudopseudo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you're into networking and have some experience, CCNA might be a good place to start, and it carries more weight than CompTIA's certs. MCSA would also be worthwhile.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you are in desktop support now and are still looking for jobs in that then Maybe the 70-680 and 70-685 or 70-686 would be a good place to start. Then maybe top that off with the CCENT. You can get a feel for both as you study them and maybe make a decision on which direction to take. Also if you haven't already post your resume here and get some feedback on it. Maybe there is something in it that is a no go for potential employers.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unoriginal wrote: »
    I have a A.S. degree in Information Technology, emphasis on networking. Ive never taken a cert test or studied for them. I almost feel cheated from my college experience as that was never a push or even relevant in classes.
    Universities tend to focus on timeless things--such as organizing your thoughts, written and verbal communication, advanced reading, etc. It also helps you build a theoretical knowledge foundation in mathematics and computing and networking that you can hang future facts onto. If it helped you grow in that sense, that is great! The particular commands some random vendor chooses to accomplish something this year tends to obsolete quickly. A great portfolio includes both education and certification. :)
    I feel the knowledge is there... Just not the resume builders. you guys feel that it would be wise to start at the bottom with an A+ cert first? I did well on the A+ test (here) without any studying and just kinda winging it.
    If you work with end systems, and you feel you mostly know the material, that is a great place to begin.
    Im finding it difficult to find a "passion" if that makes sense and is becoming frustrating.
    Consider what you found rewarding when you began, what you still find rewarding, and what's frustrating you now. If you're top dog at a tiny shop, perhaps your growth opportunities are limited, or maybe this has more to do with the people you deal with.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, lots to consider. I really like the idea of posting my resume here to be critiqued and I think I will before I start applying again just to get an idea of what fellow IT are doing.

I think I'm going to give A+ a shot just to get my feet wet and see how I do. If i manage to pass that then on to the MCSA.

I think you hit the nail on the head networkvet. As I reflect on my time here, At first I was excited almost daily just by the knowledge I was gaining and how quickly I was able to come up to speed on some things. I still get a sense of self satisfaction when I'm able to solve things without assistance especially if it's something one of my peers is struggling with. I tend to get annoyed with requests such as "my computer is not working" to find out they have not pressed the power button on the monitor :p. (I know trivial and shouldn't bother me but it's a common issue). I think that it may be time to spread my wings and try to climb the ladder and take on a new challenge; however, I still feel I may run into some roadblocks because of Certs/education. But... Can't get there if I don't start.

Thanks again for the responses.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You definitely will need a certification. I would suggest the A+ to start with because networking jobs aren't always going to be available. In other words, you may find yourself in a situation where there aren't a lot of networking jobs open but there are a lot of jobs that require work on end systems. Besides, you already have a degree and experience in networks. Why not go for something new? Maybe you'll like it more.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP

As you're already in the industry and interested in networking, take the CCNA first. There is a program called Packet Tracer which emulates CISCO but I don't know what the licensing feature is around it (I used actual CISCO stuff to practice on).

A great way to study CISCO is to find yourself a used CISCO 861 router & a couple of switches. You can find these things online for pocket change (especially the switches).

As for your dream of remote work. It might not be possible at this point in your career but it may be down the road. I know a few guys at IBM and they work out of their house. Get yourself in a company, show them you're committed to customer service & they may be receptive to your wants.
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would also suggest A+, only because that is a prerequisite for most IT jobs. You have 2 years of hands on and that is more then enough with proper study materiel to pass in a few months. Then you can dive into Network+ or MCTS (70-680). I feel like A+, Network+, and Security+ really helped me to understand a ton that I was missing out on.

Keep in mind you could easily do A+ and then go to CCNA, but it's a jump without some network background. I like that the Cisco guys at my work can talk to me without dumbing it down like they do for other techs. Hands on and Network+ has helped me to start breaking into network area more. But being your in a small shop you might find it more productive to skip Network+. It's really going to come down to what you have learned about networks from school and work. Sometimes Network troubleshooting for PC's is pretty basic and won't help you with CCNA type material.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The A+ certification is going to define your current role. However, I would not advise you to take your CCNA. For one, your current role doesn't relate to anything in terms of Administrating Cisco routers and switches. If I were in your position I would look at 70-680.
  • Options
    Thanks again for the responses. Liking the welcoming nature of these forums.

I actually have some experience with Packet Tracer. We used it for a cisco class I took in college. It was 1 out of 4 classes offered that were designed to prep you for networking and come to think of it I believe it was geared towards your ccna (just never had that explanation then). Then I was very new to networking and I found the class to be extremely difficult, but I did end up passing it.

I'm going to look towards trying to get myself a home set up if i can find the bits and pieces cheap enough just to keep getting experience. I was blessed in my position to be working under peers who take their time (especially in the beginning) to explain things. As well as I'm starting to study for my A+ cert right now. I had a book that I had received as a gift when i first started into IT in college. A+ certification for dummies :p. I don't know if the material is adequate enough for the test but my plan is to read through it thoroughly and of course the tests provided here and anywhere else i can find free study guides. I do want to avoid getting those tests that are **** from the actual tests as i do want to make sure I learn the material.

So guess my next question is (and I'm going to start researching the threads for the answers too) But what do you recommend to study for the A+? Or do you think my current experience at work combined with my for dummies book and online tests will be enough?

Thanks again for everyone's input. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    So guess my next question is (and I'm going to start researching the threads for the answers too) But what do you recommend to study for the A+? Or do you think my current experience at work combined with my for dummies book and online tests will be enough?
    The best book on the A+ I've had the opportunity to read.
  • Options
    Thanks Remedymp. I'm going to be ordering it very soon. I started the Messer videos today and the deeper I get into it the more comfortable I am that im prepared for the A+ exam.

Thanks again everyone for your responses. My plan is A+ by the end of May, After that on to the MCSA which hopefully I can get knocked out before the year is over as well. Feeling much more optimistic about my IT future :D.
  • Options
    Thanks Remedymp. I'm going to be ordering it very soon. I started the Messer videos today and the deeper I get into it the more comfortable I am that im prepared for the A+ exam.

Thanks again everyone for your responses. My plan is A+ by the end of May, After that on to the MCSA which hopefully I can get knocked out before the year is over as well. Feeling much more optimistic about my IT future :D.

Before going into MCSA, I would say the Server+ would be a bit more beneficial as well.
  • Options
    raybfreeraybfree Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree. The Server+ is a good stepping stone to the MCSA. Plus, you want to obtain the easier certs first and get something next to the name asap. That's just how life goes.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. That is probably the path I will go then.
    Been studying for a little over a week now and feeling good about my chances on passing this test. Finding it to be more of a review which is very relieving. Quick question.. Since Ive never taken an exam. Do you purchase a voucher for the exam at the comptia website? And then use that with a testing facility to coordinate a time? Or... How do you typically go about paying/scheduling an exam. My plan is to take it towards the end of May. Giving myself 2 months of review.

Thanks again for the responses been extremely helpful.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You go to the Vue website to sign up, select your exam vendor, find a testing center, schedule the time, and then pay your money. If you have pre-purchased a voucher, you put in the code during the sign-up process when the site asks you for it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. That is probably the path I will go then.
    Been studying for a little over a week now and feeling good about my chances on passing this test. Finding it to be more of a review which is very relieving. Quick question.. Since Ive never taken an exam. Do you purchase a voucher for the exam at the comptia website? And then use that with a testing facility to coordinate a time? Or... How do you typically go about paying/scheduling an exam. My plan is to take it towards the end of May. Giving myself 2 months of review.

Thanks again for the responses been extremely helpful.

You can get your exam vouchers from Getcertified4less.com on discount as well and then go ahead and book the exam at your local testing site through Pearsonvue.