Options

Who is studying for the Linux+?

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
And what resources are you using? I have tried reading the Linux+ book by Roderick Smith 2010 edition it is a rather dull read I'm finding it hard to get into not that the content is hard to understand reading the book is like watching paint dry. The book is seriously lacking in practical work and exercises.

As a entry level Linux certification book I can't see to understand why hasn't anyone written a easy to follow engaging book there seems to be a massive gap in the market for this. I don't want to pick up a book and be presented with page after page of commands and switches I want a book that goes hey so your new to linux and want to learn some s**t fire up the command line and do this :)

For those who passed Linux+ what resources did you use? is there alternative to this book and when is Nightshade releasing his book?
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    I don't think certificates are for new people. Certificates confirm knowledge you already possess. Perhaps you shouldn't rush it and play with Linux for a year or so and then look into Linux+. I don't have anything constructive to add since I'm not taking the exam.
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    linuxlover wrote: »
    I don't think certificates are for new people. Certificates confirm knowledge you already possess. Perhaps you shouldn't rush it and play with Linux for a year or so and then look into Linux+. I don't have anything constructive to add since I'm not taking the exam.

I somewhat agree but at the same time, the study and learning material for most entry level certs starts from the ground and teaches you as if you don't even know how to power something on.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    @linuxlover, I completed the Linux+ after working with Linux for only 2 months...it was extremely hard but I studied more than I studied for anything in college. It is still my most rewarding cert to date because being a *nix n00b and the amount of ground to cover in such a short time, well...I am proud of myself for biting the bullet and surprising everyone around me (it was 2 months after I started). My coworkers, team lead, and managers up all levels quickly learned that I can do anything and that's why they haven't stopped piling stuff on my plate, AKA supercharging my resume icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    I find the Linux in a nutshell by OReilly as a good reference
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    log32 wrote: »
    I find the Linux in a nutshell by OReilly as a good reference

Thanks for the tip!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+