Options

WGU MSISA Curriculum Change Question

countolafcountolaf Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm currently in the process of trying to get admitted to the WGU MSISA program. I found out today that WGU is in the process of removing the GIAC ISO-2700 (G2700) Cert from the program (the reference to this cert is removed from the WGU program overview on their web site, and my enrollment counselor confirmed the overview PDF will be updated shortly to reflect this).

My question is, for those of you who hold this cert or have been through the program, how valuable was obtaining this certification to you personally? Does it make the program less attractive in your opinion now? This seemed to be the only governance/management-oriented certification in this program; I wonder if the program still retains the same amount of real-world value to industry?

Comments

• Options
    jm0202jm0202 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can tell you it is expensive to re-certify after 4 years (400 dollars)
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I really wonder why they're getting rid of it. Luckily i'll still be taking it this term, although I can't speak to how it may help me, I know full well it's not going to hurt. I would say it makes it less attractive, I should hope they come up with some other cert that provides real world value.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I've known this was coming for months, here's the break down of the reasons. It's useless (find me a job posting asking for it, I've yet to see it) and they've been having problems with GIAC and their contract.

I had recommended to my mentor that they should replace it with ITILv3 Foundations, it's similar (ITIL being more broad and not focused on just ISMS, but based off ISO 2700x) and something business are actually looking for employees to hold.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I knew this change was coming as well when I was in the MSISA program the last half of last year. I'm suppose to start again on April 1st. I'm glad they finally got rid of this, so I don't have to deal with the exam retake fee. I heard it's the toughest cert out of all 4 they had offered. Although, I'm dying to know what they're replacing that course with. Not expecting another certification exam as I'm starting to see WGU is consolidating budgets in many of their programs to save cost.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I am very interested to see what they replace the course and/or cert with. I was looking at applying to the program over the summer. I may wait it out till the beginning of next year and spend the rest of this year knocking out certs and then just go for an MBA next summer.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    jm0202jm0202 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't think they will replace this cert... this is the same thing that happened to the ec council's cert Disaster Recovery .. they took it away and didn't replace it
  • Options
    countolafcountolaf Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I appreciate your input, everyone. I'm of the same opinion as jm0202, in talking to the enrollment counselor it didn't sound like they were replacing the cert, just changing it to a performance assessment. The exam, I believe, is $999 retail, and even if WGU gets a discount, this must have something to do with the decision. JoJoCal19, your plan sounds like a good way to proceed.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    If they keep the class the same and just change to a performance assessment that's fine. I like everything else in the program. I'll see how things are this summer.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    jfitzgjfitzg Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is too bad IMO. One of the things I like about the program was the certs, it sucks that they took so many away. If you have a shred of common sense the GIAC G2700 is easy, im guessing the decision had something to do with the massive cost to take the exam. I wish I could have gotten a DR cert out of the program but oh well.
  • Options
    forestgiantforestgiant Member Posts: 153
    The learning resources and ISO-2700x materials were EXCELLENT. They were CISSP-like and really summarized the MSc ISA experience by consolidating some technical tidbits and lots of IT security & governance in a single place.

However, the exam, two "allowance" practice exams, GIAC's attitude, exorbitant costs to attempt and retake, and retake policies are one of a kind (not in a good way). By the time I passed the G2700, I estimated I had "wasted" months of study time, nearly $2k in retake fees, and tons of frustration.

It's possible to pass the G2700 on the first attempt, and many do, but despite the open book policy it's a very confusing (not difficult) exam. Certain questions are very poorly written or off-the wall stuffs you must know from experience. You must learn the tricks to pass the exam, as it's impossible to adequately learn or memorize everything on the ISO documents.

I'm a big advocate for the ISO 2700x standards, but if I were a a WGU program developer or administrator evaluating the G2700, I would not be swayed to use it as a measurement for ISO 2700x competency. There career benefits are few, if any, for this exam, and the financial and time investments do not justify it at all.
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Perhaps it's a competition thing? Doesn't SANS also offer a master's degree program, albeit unaccredited, and vastly more expensive?
  • Options
    Talked to my mentor this evening about it as even though it's on my COS, I may not be able to take it. He said that a lot of the study materials to adequately pass were rather expensive and that didn't fit well with the affordable model of WGU. I'm slightly bummed as I would like to take the test just for the sake of doing it, but hopefully they replace it with something of equal value.
  • Options
    hollisterhollister Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh wow - this really stinks. I'm currently applying to the program, and this cert was one of the reasons my employer was considering paying for it. If anyone knows what may be replacing it, I'd love to know. Employer is more interested in demonstrated ISO 2700x knowledge than a cert.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do you think WGU will honor this cert for current students, like myself, who are already in the curriculum that contains this cert?
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    @coffeeluvr I am currently waiting to hear that from my mentor myself. I am hoping yes, but not certain at this point.
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @Hypntick I have my scheduled call tomorrow night with my mentor....I will pose the question to him and post his response.
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"