So a recruiter will not even let me know I wasnt picked..

HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
This recruiter calls me very nice and all, sets me up for an interview. Before the interview he calls me up, tells me how they will let him know before end of day whether I made the cut or not which he will convey to me. I go give it my best shot, but I never hear from him till the other day he calls me up out of the blue with another possible position and how we worked together in the past.. does this irk you? because i feel quite annoyed(and I understand that they are looking out for the client .. I get it) what are your experiences out there?

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have the feeling it is getting worse lately. Here in the UK the companies (big ones anyway) hardly seem to hire outright but go through agencies. I try to get a new job for a few weeks now and without exception - every single recruiter calling me to setup interviews either never got back to me with the date / time, never got back to me after an interview, never responds to emails or simply ignores applications.

Knowledge seems to be shockingly low as well. I had a recruitent lady calling me about a job and after tralking to her for over half an hour about almost 8 years of VMware experience, Architectual VMware experience and whatnot - she asks me if I have exeprience in virtualization.

Given the fact that more and more recruiter even refuse to give out phone numbers, I really wonder if some agencies using some random call center to gather details.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess it not just here in the U.S, now it is global. Apparently there is a disconnect between the hiring mgr's and HR when it comes tho what they want a candidate to have. I have heard this is very common.
    Also "interesting" are calls like

Agency:" I have seen your CV/Resume and you seem to be a perfect fit as Senior Solaris Administrator, please send me your current CV/Resume if interested"
    Me:" My CV/Resume does not mention anything about Solaris and if you have seen my CV/Resume, why would you need me to send it again.?"
    Agency: *click*

So yea - really frustrating at the moment. Used to be a LOT better.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've used recruiters many times. They can be a wonderul asset. :)

> tells me how they will let him know before end of day whether I made the cut or not

Interviewing is alot like dating. This is is the equivalent of, "I'll call you." Sometimes they mean it, sometimes they don't. Don't worry about it! Just go about enjoying life and interviewing others until you find a great match.

> I had a recruitent lady calling me about a job and after tralking to her for over half an hour

My last recruiter was a wonderful guy who knew all the right people but absolutely nothing about networking! Aim for a 5-10 minute conversation where you answer what checkboxes you meet and highlight your key selling points.
    Interviewing is alot like dating.

Good analogy ... With so many recruiters being %£$ I actually got into the mindset of not caring anymore :)

As in, if I apply and I hear nothing back, it is not going anywhere .. I go for interviews and if I am being considered, I expect them to call me, if they don't, I just move on ..Usually I have more than just one iron in the fire so I deal with offers based on either order I receive them or based on the details - IF I end up receiving more than one ...
  • HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Will just keep on "trunking" something will turn up!
  • glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This happened to me twice in the past. I know how you feel...I remember a very promising interview with one and then I never heard from them again. The second time was more/less the same thing. He had told me that he had a position lined up and never called back and would not return my phone calls. Oddly enough a few months later one of my friends got married and the guy who blew me off was one of the groomsmen. Talk about awkward...
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This, in my email, all the time. "I've reviewed your resume and found that you may be a perfect fit for..."
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    He's either a bad recruiter, he forgot about you, you're not high on his priority list or some combination of all 3. It's life. Get over it and move on.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    To paraphrase Forest Gump: Recruiters are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.
    Some of them will get you an interview and an offer, others will ask you to come in to talk to them to get to know you better and that's the last you will hear from them.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    This is very common in my area and it irks me as well. Many of these recruiters and head-hunters are unqualified with very poor soft skills. Excluding the few good ones, most recruiters take the quantity over quality approach. Key word search resumes online, fire off hundreds of solicitation e-mails, conduct as many interviews as possible.... and repeat without looking back.
    SephStorm wrote: »
    This, in my email, all the time. "I've reviewed your resume and found that you may be a perfect fit for..."

That's good and I also get "We have an URGENT requirement to fill such and such position..." Not urgent to me.