Options

How should I express this on my resume?

brianglbriangl Member Posts: 184 ■■■□□□□□□□
How should I express this on my resume? I do occasional end user support where I work. That is not my job here, but everyone here knows that I have studied this stuff and am trying to get into the IT field. They come to me whenever they have any computer problems. It’s really only once in a blue moon, but it is something.

The company got rid of 20 some end user support people over a year ago across north America, and outsourced it. No one likes dealing with them. Apparently they are next to useless. I haven’t had a need to deal with them. I handle all of my own computer issues

Some issues that I have helped people here with have been;
network connectivity; a couple of times it was due to DHCP problems and I configured static IP addresses temporarily to allow them network access. I already new the IP address scope, subnet maskhere and default gateway address.

General computer things: working with Excel, doing screen captures and some other random things that I don’t remember.

Office file compatibility: People being sent office 2010 files when they only have office 2003 on there systems. I downloaded and installed the file conversion software from Microsoft that allows them to open the files. I put it on a flash drive, I think I have I it installed on everyone’s system now.

Several visitors were here a while back that needed access to the network printer in our office, I installed it on there laptops.

I also do some occasional support for the very small business my wife works in. In fact she brought her bosses personal home computer home yesterday to extricate from the grip of what sounds like a boot sector virus. I will be looking at it this weekend. I also got them set up with their cable internet in two locations a few years ago.

I don’t have any of this on my resume and would like to put it on. Just not sure how to express all this concisely and in a way that it looks like I have some experience.

Comments

• Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    try adding a line that goes like this
    Additional duties include...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Were these things part of your job, or were you just helping you're friends out on your breaks? If it wasn't part of your job, don't put it on your resume; although you can mention that you helped out around the office if you do get an interview. You might even consider using some of these people as references.
  • Options
    Sounds good, thank you.
  • Options
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    try adding a line that goes like this

Sounds good, thank you.
  • Options
    Michael2 wrote: »
    Were these things part of your job, or were you just helping you're friends out on your breaks? If it wasn't part of your job, don't put it on your resume; although you can mention that you helped out around the office if you do get an interview. You might even consider using some of these people as references.

My career counselor seems to think it is a good idea to put it on my resume. She just didn't give me any specific advice on how to list it. I help anybody, anytime they ask, not part of my official job.