Facing down the 70-417

tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am fresh off achieving my MCITP:EA and using the momentum to charge into the 70-417. I'm scheduled for 4/18 and hope that I have time to work through the labs in the book, watch all the nuggets, and set up my Hyper-V server.

I have a Dell 2950 server at home ready to act as Hyper-V host but I need to install it. I'll try to get that going this weekend. I already have an ESXi 5.0 server that I can throw VMs on and Workstation on my laptop so one way or another I will get some 2012 VMs spun up.

The 70-649 was an intensely hard test just because of the scope and the three short tests as opposed to the one big one. I know this one will be harder just because of the one month of studying and no real work experience in the subject. I'm attempting it on labs and study because I will be upgrading some of our member servers soon and want to know the new features and things that will benefit us.
I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com

Comments

• X10MMXX10MMX Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am in a similar position... I got my MCITP:EA just before the new year. After a few busy months i have finally decided to get my upgrade exam done. my MS Press book just arrived today. I have already spun up some VMs.. and a couple of Hyper V Hosts...

I am looking to sit the exam second week in April. If i stick to my study plan..

Good Luck..
  • tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just sat the test and passed! I thought that most of it was fair bordering on easy. It definitely helped that I remembered and reviewed some of the 2008 R2 tests.

IF anyone is going to set this you NEED to get the 40-417 exam prep guide. I typed out all of the exam tips in the book and it made a great 8 page exam guide. Some of the tips he gives are REALLY close to answering questions but it's an official MS book so I guess it's okay.

For the test I watched the 40-417 nugget series, videos from the 40-412 series and 40-411 series. I read the entire MSPress guide and wrote out the exam tips as a study guide. Finally I used workstation 9 to spin up the VMs and lab everything I could. The only problems I had was I couldn't lab hyper-v but I just watched those videos a few times and it stuck.

Now do I take the red pill and do the stuff for a VCAP or the blue pill and start learning cisco...
  • X10MMXX10MMX Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats dude... I Passed mine last week...
    That's awesome! Congrats to you too :)

What's next for you?
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome work mate! If you work on vSphere day-to-day I'd highly recommend the VCAP series, totally worth the effort.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Yeah my day to day is working with vSphere. I'm about to deploy SRM and need to make sure my setup is as optimized as possible. I want a break from tests though so I will likely do a slow burn toward the VCAP.
  • drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    Wow, it's good to read your experiences. I am an MCSE (2003) and MCITP:EA (2008 ). I am having a hard time getting motivated to study for 70-417. I am trying to hang out in the forum a bit to build up motivation!

Drew
  • gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    drew2000 wrote: »
    Wow, it's good to read your experiences. I am an MCSE (2003) and MCITP:EA (2008 ). I am having a hard time getting motivated to study for 70-417. I am trying to hang out in the forum a bit to build up motivation!

Drew

Im also a MCSE 2003 and I have decided to pursue the new MCSE 2012 in Server Infrastructure. Server 2012 is much better compared to 2003 and 2008. Hyper-V is great, and administration is much easier compared to previous server versions. You can combine Server 2012 and System Center 2012 and you can build your own private cloud in your organization. Get motivated ;)
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter