Options

A+ question

beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys, been a while since I've been up here but I have a couple of questions, I have been in IT since about 1999, i started out as a Nortel Telecom programmer and also have worked on a help desk doing basic stuff and maybe changing out motherboards occasionsally, done a lot of basic help desk infrastructure stuff as well as some Data center type monitoring. I have taken a few A+ classes also. I was going to do my cisco cert but I have been getting calls for some temp assignments for desktop support type stuff. I have been considering getting A+ because I dont have a cert at all and should have gotten it a long time ago. I feel I will be able to get a lot of work with it. Do you think a book like the David Prowse exam cram and some hands on would be good for A+ or maybe I can use professor messer videos with some hands on and practice tests would be good?

Comments

• Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using the Exam Cram, Mike Meyers AIO and Professor Messers videos. I feel Exam Cram is more then enough especially if you have experience.
  • Options
    Thanks, I was thinking of using the exam cram and maybe get some hands on with one of those lab manuals and practice installing and troubleshooting XP and windows 7 maybe.
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You mean you want to rehearse the installation process by repeatedly installing and uninstalling Windows? You might as well buy a whole new computer and put it together because you'll need to know how to do that, too. You know, install the motherboard, the CPU, the cooling system, the power supply, the drives, the expansion cards, etc.

Seriously, installing and troubleshooting Windows is a miniscule part of what you will need to know for the exams. Just rehearse it in your head.

As for study materials, the Messer vids and Myers' All-In-One guide are probably sufficient. Be sure to sign up for the daily pop quiz on Messer's site. If you want a good, free practice test, sign up at mcmcse.com.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, yea I know all about the other stuff too not just the installing. I love professer messors site and I will sign up for the quzizes and all that. I just need to get the new Mike Meyers book or the Exam Cram book. Just got off work on a Windows 7 migration project. Just glad to be working again after over a year but I think A+ will get me back in the game with a good foundation. Thanks guys
  • Options
    KeithJaggerKeithJagger Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Mike Meyer's book is all you really need, you're an IT veteran so it shouldn't be that tough for you...just a little recap, the test isn't really that hard...there's just a lot of material to cover.
  • Options
    Thanks Keithjagger, I have heard a lot of people say the Mike Meyers book is good, I have taken apart and put back together a few pcs but its been a while but I understand a lot of the basics.