CCNA Security lab kit. yes or no?

ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

atm I'm studying for my ICND2. After I want to attack the CCNA security. Would recommend a lab kit or can I still do most of it with software like Cisco Packet Tracer? The reason why I'm already need to know is, so I can start saving money for it and start checking Ebay and co. for bargains.

Any suggestions what hardware the lab should contain?

Oh and since I'm already posting, why should one go for the CCNA security and not straight for the CCNP security as CCNA security doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for the CCNP security?

Thanks!
Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )

Comments

• DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Packet tracer will work for most of the CCNA Security but it does not have the ASA. You will need the IOS security on whatever router you buy. For Zone base firewalls and VPN's. The ASA is what going to cost you the most.
    From the Cisco site;

[TH]CCNP Security Prerequisite
    [/TH]

CCNA Security or valid CCSP or any CCIE certification can act as a prerequisite.

• jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I strongly suggest you give GNS3 a try for your CCNAS studies. It does have ASA emulation and can interface with either your host machine or virtual machines for CCP integration as well.
  • ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    DCD wrote: »
    Packet tracer will work for most of the CCNA Security but it does not have the ASA. You will need the IOS security on whatever router you buy. For Zone base firewalls and VPN's. The ASA is what going to cost you the most.
    From the Cisco site;

[TH]CCNP Security Prerequisite[/TH]

CCNA Security or valid CCSP or any CCIE certification can act as a prerequisite.

That must have changed. Cisco now states:
    Valid Cisco CCNA Security certification or valid Cisco CCNA certification plus the SND exam pass can act as a prerequisite.

Regarding GNS....I've downloaded it but don't have a Cisco IOS yet. As I want to get hardware anyways, which Router/Switch/ASA model would you recommend? I'm planning on buying one of each for now (just to get the IOS license for GNS) as my budget is rather small at the moment and than expand step by step until I have a full working lab and can switch from GNS to hardware labbing.

Thanks!
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The SND exam was retired in 2007 so anybody who had that certification does not have an active certification any more in regards to the SND. The CCSP was retired in 2011 so they have one more year before there certification is inactive in regards to CCSP.
  • ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey

I recently passed the CCNA Security. For the CCP portion of the exam you can download CCP and run it in Demo mode which should give you all you need to pass the exam. For the ASA: you can emulate ASA in GNS3 or buy yourself an ASA5505.