Options

Is CBT Nuggets enough

neolight90neolight90 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi I am just doing my CCNET first and I am watching each video from CBT in order while taking notes, I have no network background but a strong IT background in Support. Is it possible to pass this just using the CBT Nuggets or do I need other stuff as well. I am worried about having no lab at the moment due to money, as I have packet tracer but not sure how to use it as of yet, hopefully it will be enough. I am more of a hands on guy rather then pretending
Goals 2013: CCNET [ ] CCNA [ ] CCNP [ ]

Comments

• Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    no, you need more then CBT nuggets to pass any Cisco exam. You don't need a lab really either but if you do their are free labs out there to use. Get a good CCNET book like Todd Lammels or Odoms.

Check these out:

NetSimK.com - CCNA Network Simulator

Free Cisco Catalyst Switch Lab

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/28660-ccna-ccent-home-lab-ideas.html#post683358

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/81293-how-study-ccent-ccna-tutorial.html

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/15662?start=0&tstart=0

Then you should be set. The CBT videos will teach you a lot but its only scratching the surface of what you really need to put into your head.
  • Options
    Ok Thanks, I was hoping the CBT Nuggets would be enough as it seems to be in depth
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    neolight90 wrote: »
    Ok Thanks, I was hoping the CBT Nuggets would be enough as it seems to be in depth

One of those books from -Odom- Lammel will definitely put you on right track.. since the CCENT helps bridge you into the heavier ICND2 I suggest getting one of those books if possible and giving it a good read with good notes.

For my practice sim I used Boson, but there are alternatives.

CBT by itself hasn't been enough for me to pass a test past the Net+. But that's just me.
  • Options
    MichaelPetermanMichaelPeterman Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CBTnuggets is a very good source but it doesn't really dig into the true concept of some of the protocols, although it does do good with configurations and labs and Jeremy goes over things like best practices and things to be careful for. He also explains some things really well that get people confused (IE ACLS). Packet tracer is good enough for CCNA it just lacks modern network operation speeds and base line things, It tops out at 1 Gbp/s on some switches and fiber is useless in there. There is GNS3 for routing although I've never used it (its a prototyping tool like packet tracer * but free) as for books... I can't stand just reading although I still have (and use) odom books for things

No matter what source you use...Take notes, it doesn't matter if you can't or won't read them just the thought of writing them down will help... People tend to forget this especially with training videos, Actually watch them, don't turn it on then go web surfing or anything of that nature.
  • Options
    CorrstaCorrsta Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    No matter what source you use...Take notes, it doesn't matter if you can't or won't read them just the thought of writing them down will help... People tend to forget this especially with training videos, Actually watch them, don't turn it on then go web surfing or anything of that nature.

Great advice that I think a lot of people overlook. Just the simple act of putting pen to paper and writing what's being said is tremendous in terms of helping you better understand the material. I use this strategy with CBT Nuggets and Professor Messer and it has helped out significantly.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Nope. And as you said you already have Packet Tracer, so put that to use for labbing.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can only tell you what worked for me, I have a strong support/systems background too but no network background:

1. Watched CBTNuggets ICND1 videos to get an overview of what networking actually is.
    2. I've read the Official Exam Guide by Wendell Odom
    3. I've read Tod Lammle's CCENT study guide which really helped me to understand better what I've just read in the Official Exam Guide
    4. I've read the Official Exam Guide again, this time I actually understood what I was reading
    5. Took Boson practice exams and watched the CBTNuggets again, while the exam date came closer and closer
    6. Passed ICND1

I always labbed with Packet tracer after reading/watching videos and during almost any free time I had.

It took me 6 months from no network background to CCENT but it was worth it because I really understand the material taught in ICND1 and finding it now much easier to study for the ICND2.

Hope this was a bit helpful!
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like neolight90 I am trying to find the right material without spending to much time and money.

Does anyone feel like CBT nuggets is better or worst then say Chris Bryant CCNA video Series? I am more interested in Labbing then video's. I don't want to spend $99/month for CBT if I can get Chris's video's and save money for equipment if needed. I am still kind of waiting on the Cisco announcement next week before buying anything. Any tips on Video's would be appreciated.

Thanks jsb515 that netsimk is pretty easy to just jump in and do it.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you are trying to train on a budget your best bet is to go with the Odom books. They cover everything you need to know. Save the money from the videos. They are good primers, but not needed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It all comes down to how you learn the best. The videos aren't enough to pass the exams but they do an awesome job of introducing you to the material and Jeremy makes the material as interesting as can be. Just to have someone like him teach you subnetting and ACLs is worth the money, in my opinion.

A lab isn't really necessary unless you just have to have one. I picked up a 2610xm and 3 2950 switches for ~$150 and just use GNS3 for everything. The only thing I use the router for is to connect to my GNS3 topologies so I can better manage their connections to real networks. The switches are just because I got them cheap (routerswholesale.com $25) and GNS3 can't emulate them.)

For me to pass the CCENT I just used CBT Nuggets and read Odom's ICND1 book, then took any practice test I could find online. I'm planning on the same with CCNA, and about halfway done with Odom's book so getting ready to take the exam. You can get his books on amazon for $25 a piece and be golden for both certs, though the material can be a bit dry.

My recommendation would be CBT Nuggets (take notes on PAPER!) then a bit of labbing, then Odom or Lammel's book, then a ton of labs.

Freeccnaworkbook.com is an awesome resource for labs with a TON of explanation. You can get everything you need from PT/GNS3 and free resources, so it's up to you if you want to pay for the videos.
  • Options
    ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mdomino wrote: »
    Freeccnaworkbook.com is an awesome resource for labs with a TON of explanation.

Wow. I didn't know that site. It's awesome! Thanks for sharing!
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips, can I ask if I should watch the INE videos as well will that add anything to CBT?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks everyone for your tips, can I ask if I should watch the INE videos as well will that add anything to CBT?

Any videos are optional. That said, if you're struggling with a section, hearing it explained multiple ways can be helpful. So yes, there's value in owning both video sets. Is it enough to justify the extra coin? That's up to you and your budget.

At $24/day, I consider CBT nuggets an affordable pre-study overview or post-study review.
  • Options
    jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253
    get the books they are your guides to truly learning the material. Videos are optional but do give further insight to overview what you read. Plus we are here to help with any questions :)
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□

CBT Nuggets + official book written by Odom + lab practice with real or virtual network components are bare necessity.
    (At least for me)
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security