Options

Practicing w/ Switches

gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone have any suggestions on how in depth the CCNA goes with configuring switches. I have two 1924's so I am kind of limited in practice since some of the commands are different and there is limited functionality compared to the 2950. I just wanted anyones advice so I do not get screwed up since I was working with the 1924s

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    there will be questions about the menus and command line syntax for configurations on the test. i think it will work just fine. its what i used in my home lab.. but i do work with the higher end switches everyday
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my opinion the 19xx switches are pretty useless.
    It's better then having non-manageable hubs, of course but the major differences in configuration and operation make them useless in my opinion.

The best switch to get for CCNA and CCNP (if you decide to move on) is 2912.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    lordy wrote:
    In my opinion the 19xx switches are pretty useless.
    It's better then having non-manageable hubs, of course but the major differences in configuration and operation make them useless in my opinion.

The best switch to get for CCNA and CCNP (if you decide to move on) is 2912.

lol, you are right 19xx switches do suck. A 2950c is not bad way to go either, fairly easy to use..Right now I'm really starting to like the 3560.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, I can get a 2912 for a nice price. What are some of the major differences between that and the 2950 which costs hundreads more? As of right now I am only concerned with the CCNA because I will be working with a verizon consultant who's going to teach me how to support our new network and I figured if I know the basics inside and out it will help get me up a learning curve a little quicker for some of the advanced stuff
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    being that the 2950 are not EOL -end of life, yet. its not going to come cheap.. a 1900 runs about 50-75 bucks on ebay. 2900 runs about 125-200. 2950 runs upwards from 255 -350+. depending on ports, new or used. if you have a 1900 use it, if you have 200 for a 2900 get it if u have a few hundred more try getting a 3500xl or 3550. thats just my thoughts. the most important thing to do is to get comfortable in the CLI and most of the rest you can thumb your way to getting the right commands your looking for icon_cool.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons