Options

Does this look like a good role to get into networking?

dazl1212dazl1212 Member Posts: 377
Job Title: Customer Support Technician (Telecoms),
Job Spec:
Customer Support Technician (Telecoms)

A telecoms giant with UK wide presence, are looking for a number of Customer Support Technicians
They provide clients with telecom solutions including telephony services and systems, telephone lines, mobiles and broadband.

You will have a strong knowledge of VoIP or Broadband/Data Services.

As a Customer Support Technician your role with include: - A range of key customer service activities providing support to both telecom end users and channel partners. - You will be the prime customer contact point for all customer query types across faults and provisioning. - You will be targeted against the First Time Fix principle. - You will provide support across a range of products including 3rd party, although primarily around Broadband / Data Services . - You will have a high degree of technical knowledge as well as the ability to articulate to end users who don’t necessarily have a detailed knowledge of the products.
Goals for 2013 Network+ [x] ICND1 [x] ICND2 [ ]

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dazl1212 wrote: »
    Job Title: Customer Support Technician (Telecoms),

You will be the prime customer contact point for all customer query types across faults and provisioning. You will provide support across a range of products including 3rd party.. You will have a high degree of technical knowledge as well as the ability to articulate to end users who don’t necessarily have a detailed knowledge of the products.

Note, despite the wording, they almost certainly don't expect a "high degree of technical knowledge". As the "prime customer contact point" you will see everything including "I forgot to turn on my PC" issues, and the interesting items you will be asked to escalate as quickly as possible to others who better know what they're doing.

Still, this position gets you customer-facing IT experience which could later help you land a higher-level support or sales role after you gain more technical knowledge through certification. You will also get to practice basic debugging skills and learn roughly what a telecom network looks technically and operationally, helpful for engineering roles.

It's not a bad starting place for a Network+. :)
  • Options
    I already have customer facing IT support experience and some very basic networking experience in so far as setting up few routers and wireless access points.
    Still this position is better paid than mine and there should be some potential for progression, something that is lacking in my role.
    From what you have said it could be a good starting point.
    Thank you for the advice, anything you have to add is much appreciated icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I got an email back saying they are only interested in people with ISP and Telephony experienceicon_cry.gif
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear that, mate. Chin up, and good luck on the next one!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry to hear that (was that the one in Manchester ?) - but at least they let you know - in my exeprience you usually don't even get a response if they aren't interested ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Me too but you get used to it after a while. Yeah it was in Manchester. It was through an agency so I think they probably want to keep me sweet. Something will come up soon!