Interview on Monday!

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
Ok so I landed an interview on Monday for an IT position. This will be my official first job. I currently have an IT job but that's on an on call basis and there's only about 4 computers to deal with. Anyways I am half ways done at WGU and have a few Certifications. What can I expect on the interview and the actual job? Any tips and ideas to help land the job would be great. Here is the job description.

[h=1]Job Descriptions[/h]This position supports the ***** facilities in **********, and performs a wide variety of technical and administrative tasks including, Information Systems Support with SharePoint, Internet/Intranet websites, creating the company newsletter, reporting, social media, hardware/software installation and troubleshooting, maintaining IT equipment inventory and other support tasks as assigned.

The IS Technician must be a driven, energetic and good-natured individual who welcomes challenges, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and possesses excellent analytical, technical, communication and organizational skills. Most importantly, this person must have a can-do, energetic, upbeat attitude, and be willing to learn and work in a collaborative environment. The IS Technician position falls under the Administration Department and reports to the Director of Administration and HR.

[h=1]Specific Responsibilities[/h]
  • Must be able to support SharePoint users, gather specifics on their needs to provide a solution, and create custom lists as needed.
  • Be familiar with network operating systems and able to network drives.
  • Provide orientation to new users of existing technology.
  • Provide individual training and support on request.
  • Monitor and maintain technology to ensure maximum access.
  • Make recommendations about purchase of technology resources.
  • Install work stations.
  • Connect and set up hardware.
  • Provide network accounts and passwords as required.
  • Monitor security of all technology.
  • Input and maintain IP addresses.
  • Advise staff of security breach and/or change in password or security status.
  • Must be able to operate/troubleshoot copiers, printers, fax machine, and other office equipment as required.
  • Must be able to troubleshoot user issues within Microsoft Office programs.
  • Must be able to draft, edit and screen website, social media and newsletter postings to ensure Edeniq is represented professionally.
  • Must be able to maintain the inventory system in an orderly, secure, and easily retrievable fashion.
  • Ensure adequate inventory of commonly used items are ordered/maintained in order to minimize impact of waiting for equipment or supplies.
  • Must be able to interact with executives, employees, and other internal and external contacts in a manner that facilitates the smooth operation of the office.
  • This position may have access to confidential, sensitive, and proprietary information. It is essential that the highest level of confidentiality is maintained at all times.
  • Other duties as assigned.
[h=1]Required Experience[/h]Associate's Degree (or equivalent to two years full time college student) in Computer and Information Systems, Office Automation, or related field. Five years experience or more can be used in lieu of education requirement.

At least two years of experience described in the essential functions listed above.

Working knowledge of Windows 7 administration, database structure and queries. SharePoint knowledge is desirable, but not required.

Understanding of computer programming logic, social media, including Facebook and Twitter.

Advanced level proficiency in Microsoft Office products.

Logical troubleshooting, excellent written and verbal communication skills, and general image manipulation.
[h=1]Physical Requirements[/h]To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Must be able to lift/carry/push at least 20 pounds, and be able to reach and manipulate knobs/cords/keyboards. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

Keyword: Information Systems Technician
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck and congrats!
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck and congrats!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like you get to be on Facebook and Twitter @ work....Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • flash27flash27 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! I have one on Monday as well :)
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Good luck!Let us know how it goes.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    Thanks everyone. Anyone have any tips for the interview. This will only be my second interview in the IT field.
  • thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The piece that is concerning to me is that, "The IS Technician position falls under the Administration Department and reports to the Director of Administration and HR." Sounds like you'll be reporting to non technical people. This can be a good or a bad thing depending on your ability. During the interview, I'd ask if you'll be working alone or with a team of other IS individuals.
  • pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    thegoodbye wrote: »
    The piece that is concerning to me is that, "The IS Technician position falls under the Administration Department and reports to the Director of Administration and HR." Sounds like you'll be reporting to non technical people. This can be a good or a bad thing depending on your ability. During the interview, I'd ask if you'll be working alone or with a team of other IS individuals.

That is what I was thinking as well. Based on what I have researched on the company, it seems like it most likely will be me by myself.