Options

question

Does verizon wireless check for ordinance violation when applying for jobs?

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why do you ask? Do you have one? And if so - what state? There are lots of factors involved and presumably you are asking because you are concerned about the background check.

You actually are raising an interesting question which I do not know the answer.

I would expect that Verizon like most large corporations will conduct a 50 state background check. Most background checks will include a criminal background check. As I understand it, in most states, ordinance violations are not considered crimes because cities cannot pass laws. Some states may categorize them as lesser crimes but it could be in the same class as driving offenses.

Most states limit the fines and penalties for ordinance violations but some states do allow for imposing jail. So if you are asked about it on a job application, that could be a tough one.

Personally, I would not expect ordinance violation to be something that most employers care about. I certain do not give a hoot if someone forgot to pick up the poop from their dog and got a fine.

FYI - standard disclaimer - I'm not an attorney and you should consult one in your state if you believe it's a concern. But your best bet is to ask the municipal town clerk if the ordinance violation is considered a crime.
  • Options
    programmer24programmer24 Banned Posts: 122
    only reason I ask that question because its asking for felonies and misdeameanors and not for ordinance violations when I am applying for entry level java developer position
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unfortunately, that's a question that you will be better off posing to an attorney in your state of residence. Or you may be able to check with the municipal clerk of the ordinance violation in question.

It is my understanding that ordinance violations can be misdemeanors in some cases.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    only reason I ask that question because its asking for felonies and misdeameanors and not for ordinance violations when I am applying for entry level java developer position

It varies; however, generally, most jurisdictions would deem a municipal ordinance violation to be somewhat equivalent to a misdemeanor.

As Paul stated, consult an attorney specific to the municipality in question.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I sincerely doubt there exists an employer in the private sector that checks for ordinance violations. IANAL, but I think you would know if you'd been convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony, and if it is neither it shouldn't matter. Certain jobs check for driving history (ie, petty misdemeanors) and credit history, but I've not heard of one and cannot fathom one (outside of maybe a municipal government) that would check for ordinance violations.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340