Options

What would give me more offers right now for someone like me A+/Net+ or A+/MCTS?

eLseLs Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys and girls as my subject line what would give me better opportunities now having the A+ and finishing up the Network+ or MCTS Windows 7 Configuration certifications?

Link to my first post on what was my situation- http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/73884-got-my-bs-jobless-need-some-direction-what-do.html

Fast forward now I took some advice and yes myself and resume sucked no wonder I was not getting anything. I eventually got work for a small IT company doing desktop support and remote based helpdesk I guess you can say. Learn so much what support techs/helpdesk deal with and customer service IT related issues. The company closed down and was left with no job but I gained lots of experience.

Now I got into a scholarship program that gives me a bit more hands on servers/networking but mostly A+/MCTS stuff. The biggest selling point for me was making me better at handling myself in interviews/resumes/cover letters and everything in between that kills people before they even look at your skills. Coming in did not know nothing and now almost at the end I so prepared now for the unknown. They do give me paid vouchers for A+ and MCTS but depending on me I could use the voucher for Network+ instead of MCTS. This is my dilemma should I go for MCTS Windows 7 Configuration or Network+? I'll be heavily job searching in like 2 weeks when I finish taking either certification. Which would give me better opportunities?

Quick summary from my link- I have a Bachelors of Science degree in IT. Live in New York City and looking for work close to here (NJ could count). Own a car and have 1 year experience as a tech support/remote based and like 6 years of computer technician/consultant. Non-IT related was a crew leader supervising 25 people during census operations. A+ certified and either Network+ or MCTS Win 7 Config? What way should I go to get a better paying job right now for a person like me.

My goal is to be in the networking field but my right now just want to be in IT working making money first and just study for my CCNA in the mean time while working. The choices I was thinking was to combine my A+ with MCTS and then study for CCENT/CCNA because i think i will get paid better right now. Or you guys and girls think I should do Network+ and I might get started in networking or that is wishful thinking in my situation. Let me know guys I have been confused on what to do... i did took time off from studying last year when I worked as a support tech position since it was long hours and making that money lol.

I wont let that happen and will study while working now that i got my first certification and want to keep it up. Great forum btwicon_study.gif
Bachelor of Science: Computer Information Systems
2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).

Comments

• Options
    btw i would of just done network+ but i keep seeing from here that it is useless and so far i havent seen any jobs asking for it. they only ask for ccna i dont even see ccent on any job list.

if you beg to differ let me know ill use my voucher for net+ instead of mcts since i will be studying for ccna. just need a paying job now...
    2014 Goals: Solarwinds Certified Professional (SCP), Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) and Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA).
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I think you'd get a better ROI out of Security+ if you can use the voucher for that instead. It shows you have demonstrated competency in security and understand a variety of topics behind it.

The Sec+ combined with a CCNA would be powerful factors to get your foot in the door in the networking field. But, you need to be able to back that up with a strong resume and a good interview.

Also, the Microsoft 70-642 (Server 2008 configuring network infrastructure) would do much more than the 70-680 for what your goals are at this time.
  • Options
    thank you i guess ill go with what i love and just go the networking route. i have the knowledge needed for mcts so ill just have it in my resume dont need a cert for that. i was going to get the security+ after my networking cert just didnt know when. i doubt they will let have it for security+ but network+ yes.

I was thinking of ccna then doing the security route but definitely love the networking world. I did take a course on my last semester in college what would be CCENT (ICND1 book/hands on) i just need to refresh myself with that.

cisco is on my own money wise and studying but i do get a big discount for future comptia exams since i got in the program.

ill look into the 70-642 as you mentioned...

i just wanted an answer because ive been stalling for the past 2 days on which to study hard on just been in wait state mode. I'll just finish my network+ studies and see where i go from there (ccent and sec+ right after)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Out of the two choices I would take the MCTS over Network + JMHO
  • Options
    awww back to square one i did a check on jobs here and i see microsoft certs and a+ but not network+. since i need a paying job now microsoft route seems safer then i can study along for my ccna.

imma give myself until tomorrow to make a decision and then take the test in a week or two.

the choices...
  • Options
    Windows 7 is still be implemented into small, medium, and large enterprises. I would think it would be an excellent certification to show HR you know Win 7 and to standout against other applicants.
  • Options
    Got done talking about my options and it wasnt a guaranteed path using voucher for something else than MCTS: win 7 config.

So the voucher is for the MCTS: Win 7 Config only but because I've been on top of game and finish early like I predict I can talk about getting another voucher for another certification either Network+ or MCITP they told me. (I'm guessing they mean 70-685 or 70-686 to make it MCITP)

So will take the MCTS: Win 7 Config and then now deciding either network+ or use it for another microsoft cert and study on my own for CCNA in the mean time (my own money).

1) a+>mcts:win 7 config>network+>ccent>ccna
    or
    2) a+>mcts:win 7 config>mcitp:enterprise desktop support technician>ccent>ccna
    or
    3) a+>mcts:win 7 config>mcitp:enterprise desktop administrator>ccent>ccna

choices... (cisco my own money)
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    OP you have me thinking now. I'm taking my A+ and Net+ in May, but I'm reconsidering now and thinking about going with A+ and then Win7.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    I like option 3 personally. Enterprise Desktop Admin has more bite in addition you can grow more into that certification. JMHO
  • Options
    @ Corey A+ | Windows 7 makes A LOT of sense.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    @ Corey A+ | Windows 7 makes A LOT of sense.

I think this is definitely the path I'm going to take. I've been studying for Net+ and honestly the more I study the less I find myself not really in to networking this early in my IT career. Not to say I won't later, but now I'm just starting out and I believe A+ and Win7 would be a nice starting combo as you suggested. I'm more interested, at this point, in growing towards a system admin moreso than a network admin.
  • Options
    What's nice with the path you mentioned is, if you find yourself learning a lot and enjoying yourself on Windows 7 680 you can go for 686 as well and get the administrative certification (MCITP). Gives you a path to grow towards and instead of growing horizontally, like you would with the A+ N+ S+ strategy you are growing more vertically. ***Personally to me that's generally a better path to take. I'd rather be a master of something than a jack of all trades. JMHO
  • Options
    Thank you for the excellent advice N2IT, you've helped me more than you know.