Options

WGU changes coming in the next few months

xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
Just got an email from my mentor letting me know of some changes that are happening in the next few months at WGU. Seems like a lot of Microsoft Certifications are going away and being replaced with WGU proctored exams. Here is the email,

" Over the next few months, WGU will be introducing some changes to programs and the student portal that you need to be aware of.
Student Portal Changes

The interface for the student portal will be upgraded to a new, more user friendly view. When this portal is available to you, there will be a link at the top right of your screen that allows you to select between the Classic view and the new student experience. The home page and the degree plan page will be the pages most affected by this upgrade.

One of the changes to the degree plan page will allow students to create scenarios of their upcoming courses. You will be able to take a more interactive role in planning your degree path!

These changes are being rolled out to each WGU college separately and the IT college is second in line to receive the new student experience. We are expecting them to be available to currently enrolled students sometime in May, but we don’t have an exact date.

Program Changes

In the IT world, we have to be flexible and adapt to new technology as it is adopted. The IT College at WGU is not exempt from that and we change our programs to reflect what is currently happening in the industry. As certifications are retired or updated, we change our courses to keep students up to date. Please keep in mind that all dates are projected launch dates.

Undergraduate Programs

All IT Program Tracks
· WFV1 (IT Fundamentals I) exam will be updated by the vendor on May 1st.
· AXV1 (IT Fundamentals II) and CPV1 (IT Fundamentals III) will be updated to reflect the most recent A+ exam material (801/802 exams). The current A+ exams (701/702) will retire at the end of August, but the new courses will be available starting June 1st.
· DFV1 (Web Development Fundamentals) will change from a Microsoft exam to a WGU exam plus a student project on May 1st.
BSIT/BSITSec/BSITSF Tracks
· KET1 (Introduction to Programming) and KFT1 (Object Oriented Design and Development) will both change to a WGU exam plus a student project on May 1st.
BSITND/BSITNW
· CSV1 (Operating Systems) will change from a Microsoft exam to a WGU exam starting July 1st.
BSITSec Track Only
· CSV1 (Operating Systems) will change from a Microsoft exam to a WGU exam starting May 1st.
o Additionally, students that have not already taken this course will have an option of completing a program change that will allow them to take two separate courses in its place.
§ DRV1 (Operating Systems I) is a course that prepares students for the Linux+ LX0-101 exam
§ DSV1 (Operating Systems II) is a course that prepares students for the Linux+ LX0-102 exam
BSITND Track Only
· AHV1 (Directory Services) and AIV1 (Network Design and Management) will both change from Microsoft exams to WGU exams on July 1st.
· BHV1 (Configuring Applications Infrastructure) and BIV1 (Enterprise Administration) will both change from retiring Microsoft exams to WGU exams starting May 1st.
BSITSF Track Only
· ANV1 (Software I) exam will be updated by the vendor and the competencies for the course will be updated to reflect this on July 1st.

Graduate Programs

MSISA Track
· LKT2 (Network Security Practices and Policies) will change to a WGU exam on May 1st.
· FYV2 (Security Policies and Standards – Compliance and Certification) will change from GIAC exam to a WGU exam on May 1st.

If these program changes affect you and your degree plan, we will talk about them during our weekly chats in the next few months.

As always, if you have any concerns or questions, you can call or email me anytime. Have a great day!"

Comments

• Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Interesting set of changes in the works. Not sure if these are for the better or not however. I know a lot of folks were having issues with the MS tests, however that was one of the main selling points of the degree for me. The only change that does affect me is the FYV2 change, which i'm waiting to hear from my mentor about if i'll be grandfathered in to taking the test. I'm not sure if the removal of some of these classes will make the degree easier or not, although I hope it doesn't, this should be a difficult program that is actually valuable.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    im glad to see that they are getting rid of some of the ciw and mta classes and changing up java
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I agree, they are a waste of time.

The addition to Linux for that sec is pretty cool, little jealous.

Kinda strange the IT ND&M track didn't switch to MCSA 2008 track, instead of in house kinda lame.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm glad to see them getting rid of the horrible Java course (I only took the KFT1). I have no problem coding in Java, but following the task instruction was confusing and frustrating enough. Passed with a nearly perfect score. I think I must have BSed my way through task 4.

I'm kind of surprised they're getting rid of LKT2 in MSISA program. Well, the only problem I have with it was task 1, which did not appeal to me very well. I'm not disappointed to see the GIAC exam go away, even though I have no idea what is involved in it, but it has no value outside the infosec management area, which I have no interest getting into yet.
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    It is interesting that they are removing some MS certifications. That seems to be a big reason most people go there for the certs and the degree. I am glad they are changing up Java. Those two classes were a disaster.
    WGU grad
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is the current exam for LKT2 for the MSISA?

I think it's a bit disappointing that they are moving away from certification tests and going toward s proprietary WGU exams.
  • Options
    @MSP-IT: That's the thing! There is none for LKT2. The course only has three tasks (many would agree the first one was the most difficult than the other two).
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Would I be able to transfer A+ 701/702 after the WGU changes on June 1 when I'm ready to enroll in WGU around Aug. or Sep?
  • Options
    Yes, long as the certification is not older then 5 years, at least under the current rules
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
    Good news...Thanks!
  • Options
    Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Aw man, I've already sunk too much time in studying for 70-680 to change now. I'm just wondering if it'd be worth it seeing as how they're changing the java classes...are the tasks really that bad?
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
  • Options
    Yea I was looking forward to study for it but as many know, the exam is one of not very easy. Maybe they saw too many people struggling with it. I actually asked my mentor if I can switch that class for the Linux classes even though Im in the netword admin track. She will find out for me and let me know if its possible =D.
  • Options
    nerdinhidingnerdinhiding Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry I am trying to decipher this correctly. I am looking to start the Network Admin degree in June. I am currently studying for the Windows 7 70-680 exam. Is this exam still relevant for this track? What is changing on this track exactly? Is it just the A+ exams? Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    They are moving away from the 70-680 to a in house exam. CSV1 is the 70-680 exam
    BSITND/BSITNW
    · CSV1 (Operating Systems) will change from a Microsoft exam to a WGU exam starting July 1st.
  • Options
    kirk_nckirk_nc Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is not good for me, I will miss out on the Microsoft Certs...the only one I can get is the Windows 7 Config icon_sad.gif
    I was really looking forward to obtaining...
    -Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring Exam 70-640
    -Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, Configuring Exam 70-642
    -Microsoft Exam 70-646: Windows Server 2008, Server Administrator

I may remove myself from the program honestly, the value is no longer there....
    Obtaining the Project+,Security+, CIW Web Design have done me no good so far. My next semester would have been the most productive for me (CCENT,CCNA, 70-640)
  • Options
    Why? If you have been studying for it just take it outside of wgu or take it before you transfer in to knock out some required classes....
  • Options
    If I take the 70-680 exam before I enroll would it apply for credit for that class? Sorry for all of the dumb questions just trying to make sure I don't have wasted effort since I work in networking mainly the Windows 7 exam was strictly for that degrees credit only.
  • Options
    The change for the 70-680 is in 3 months. You still have time to study and schedule and take exam if you start very soon. !
  • Options
    I'm not enrolled yet but I was planning to enroll as soon as I completed the 70-680. I guess I need to call them to see if they will accept it. I could get it done within 3 months just want to be sure they accept it as credit.
  • Options
    I would contact them first and see if they accept it. If not , I still see it as a good cert to have under your belt.
    Anyway they told me I cant switch that class for the linux class unless im in the security track =(. I tried though.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wasn't surprised to see this happen. With all the talk of MS possibly going with annual OS releases, this is probably just a "wait & see" tactic on WGU's part to see what's going to happen.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Some of you guys do not need to think twice, but thrice before you remove yourself from the program. The value of WGU has always remained the same despite the new changes: Online, Accelerated, Affordable, and Accredited. You'd not find other places that have those. The certifications they offered were luxuries we should take for granted.

Some would agree that the certifications can devalue the degree since anyone can **** the cert exams. Those who honestly studied their asses off on those exams but still failed multiple times are wasting money, which doesn't coincide with WGU's value. I'd rather take the exams out of my pocket to motivate me more and not be pressed against WGU time.
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    im glad to see that they are getting rid of some of the ciw and mta classes and changing up java

Maybe I'm misreading that list of changes, but I don't see them getting rid oft he CIW certs, just updating them?

Also, is the MS Web Development Fundamentals feasible to fit in between Apr and May? I have no idea what the content of the cert is but I'd rather get the cert to be honest.
  • Options
    Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ok wait, now I'm confused. Is the 70-680 changing to just an in-house exam or to the Linux+?
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
  • Options
    You have the option for in house or linux+ if your on the Sec Track. Any other track is going to be in house exam.
  • Options
    So basically to sum it up for the Network Admin track the following changes?

1) 70-680 is going to in house exam
    2) Exams are being updated by number (eg. A+ 800 series)

Is that all that is changing on that track? Is project+ still valid exam for the track? Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Yep , thats all that is changing for Net Admin track. I just had a nice long convo with my mentor, I made sure nothing else changed and just assured me that the only effect for me was the 70-680 course and the updated exams (which dont apply to me since i have cert already).

Nothing else has changed or will be changed in the near future
  • Options
    I honestly do not have the time in my schedule to study for an additional course. I'm currently working through Web Programming course, then my last course of the term is Operating Systems. The whole full time employee/full time dad roll has me tied up...but what I may do is purchase the material from Test Out using the discount because I really need those certs!
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I'm jealous of some of these changes. I think doing projects will reinforce learning more than studying for an exam (esp the MTA's). Nice to hear about the Java classes revamp as well. The classes I took last November were the same tasks for the last 2-3years icon_sad.gif

I agree with hiddenknight as well. The true value of WGU is an accredited degree, the certifications are just bonuses.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    I agree the true value is the degree but I already have a BS in IT from a University. Went 2 years working at a helpdesk with no progress, I'm trying to break into a Networking role so I decided to enroll in the BS Network Admin program to ultimately obtain the certifications since my first degree has not helped me much.