Options

WGU changes coming in the next few months

Comments

• Options
    dragonshizdragonshiz Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have an email out to my mentor today to see if he can provide any clarity. All I have left is the 2 java classes and the tech writing and capstone. I havent started any of the java tasks yet but I am enrolled in the classes. I was however not looking forward to having to make my way through those tasks, 2 exams and a project sound way better to me. I'm hoping I'll be able to take the new classes.
    WGU - B.S. Information Technology
    Goals for 2013: Complete B.S. Information Technology from WGU (Completed! Graduated August 2013), CCNA (in progress)
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    kgb wrote: »
    I agree with hiddenknight as well. The true value of WGU is an accredited degree, the certifications are just bonuses.

This one strikes me as a mixed bag. Exam + project is probably best for Java, yes. On the others. . . the certs may be bonuses, but they are a huge source of appeal for the program. WGU will need to adjust its marketing a bit to accomodate. I'm not sure WGU can make exams that will match vendor exams for quality, either.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to admit I am a bit disappointed.
    I only have one month to take the 70-680 on WGU's dime.

I doubt I wouldve signed up for this school had I known about these changes.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kind of puts a damper on my plans. Although I value the accelerated portion of the class, I was really only going to get the Certs and finish my bachelors. I'll have to re-evaluate my situation and plans now.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Mentor also told me they plan on changing the student portal soon, curious if it will coincide with all this
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    I'm glad they're phasing out the MTA exams. It's unfortunate that these are Certiport only and the closest exam site for me is about 30 minutes away. Not to mention the MTA certifications are pretty worthless, as goes with the CIW. The Linux+ sounds like a fair trade.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    · AHV1 (Directory Services) and AIV1 (Network Design and Management) will both change from Microsoft exams to WGU exams on July 1st.

At that point why keep the 646? I hope they add the 2012 certifications soon. I'd rather have the M$ cert then a WGU class.
  • Options
    dragonshizdragonshiz Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Guhh just found out from my mentor that you can only change to the new program at the beginning of a new semester, so even though I'll have 4 months left when the new java classes start I will be out of luck. I'm really not looking forward to these tasks lol.
    WGU - B.S. Information Technology
    Goals for 2013: Complete B.S. Information Technology from WGU (Completed! Graduated August 2013), CCNA (in progress)
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    eansdad wrote: »
    · AHV1 (Directory Services) and AIV1 (Network Design and Management) will both change from Microsoft exams to WGU exams on July 1st.

At that point why keep the 646? I hope they add the 2012 certifications soon. I'd rather have the M$ cert then a WGU class.

That change only applies to the Network Design and management Track, and there is no 646 class for that track. Network Admin track still keeps the MCSA2008 and certs as part of curriculum
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    xocity wrote: »
    That change only applies to the Network Design and management Track, and there is no 646 class for that track. Network Admin track still keeps the MCSA2008 and certs as part of curriculum
    Hopefully that doesn't change too!
    Ive been studying for the 70-680 and now ill have to pay for it on my own. Not a big deal but poor timing I suppose.
  • Options
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Hopefully that doesn't change too!
    Ive been studying for the 70-680 and now ill have to pay for it on my own. Not a big deal but poor timing I suppose.

Try to schedule it before may 1st. Even if you fail it, its on WGUs' dime. Then you can see what you need some help on and pay for it on your own money when your ready ;).
  • Options
    TrowaOfTheNorthTrowaOfTheNorth Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BSITSec Track Only
    · CSV1 (Operating Systems) will change from a Microsoft exam to a WGU exam starting May 1st.
    o Additionally, students that have not already taken this course will have an option of completing a program change that will allow them to take two separate courses in its place.
    § DRV1 (Operating Systems I) is a course that prepares students for the Linux+ LX0-101 exam
    § DSV1 (Operating Systems II) is a course that prepares students for the Linux+ LX0-102 exam

Damn. I'm studying the 70-680, finishing up the last WileyPlus chapter now. Already sunk five weeks into this course. Really wanted the Linux+ change. Oh well...
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

· KET1 (Introduction to Programming) and KFT1 (Object Oriented Design and Development) will both change to a WGU exam plus a student project on May 1st.

This is great news, I was putting off KFT1... should be perfect timing...

I wonder if they will get completely rid of Microsoft? hope not
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    i see them only offering a msitp:sa not the ea, that would give them only 3 ms certs to get instead of 5
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Damn.
    I was looking forward to KET1 (Introduction to Programming) and KFT1 (Object Oriented Design and Development) certs
  • Options
    Oh nevermind. I see that the 2 programming classes were a nightmare.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    yea ... no one looks forward to those classes
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Oh nevermind. I see that the 2 programming classes were a nightmare.

Yup. I spent more time on those 2 courses than anything else. A total revamp is / was needed.
  • Options
    Yea, I've heared stories about those courses, kind of the reason I took Net Admin route. But with all these changes, I kind of want to change to the security route now. I dont need to worry (as much I HOPE) about those programming classes and since 70-680 is out of the picture, I can take the Linux classes. I have world exp on windows server so I think I'll just take server exams on my own time and I may be able to finish WGU faster with a change to Security Route. hmmm.... I'll speak to my mentor about it
  • Options

How considering the exams are no longer offered by M$ after July 31st? They used to have the 646 and changed it to the 647.
  • Options
    I believe that the Server Certs for 2k8 (640,642,646) are still going to be offered but no longer going to give the MCITP title only the MCSA title.
  • Options
    I'll wait to take those classes until the change is in effect :)
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I'd rather take the exams out of my pocket to motivate me more and not be pressed against WGU time.
    Same

The rushed certifications are what turned me off about WGU. Now I will definitely reconsider.
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    MTA exams are not "Certiport only." Anyone can register and pay for these exams directly through Prometric's website. You do not need to be a student. This used to be the case but now all MTA exams are open to the public. Go to Prometric's web site and see for yourself. So, don't trust what I say....verify it. You'll see these are open for anyone, non-students included.

For credit towards an academic degree program they are. Prometric is available for non course based testing. If you are doing it for school, then Certiport is required. It states very clearly on the MTA website when you must use Certiport or not. My guess is because MS actually partners with the colleges through Certiport. Certiport does automatic reporting to the school. Prometric isn't available for that automatic reporting through the Microsoft/Collegiate partnership. Obviously this doesn't matter for WGU with their score report process, but they have to follow the rules set forth by Microsoft.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think you may have misunerstood his post or possibly I am. From what I'm reading, he's saying that if you ARE a student, then you must use certipoint IF it is for academic credit for a program you are currently enrolled in. If you're a student and you take it in your own time you can use whatever the hell you want. If you aren't a student you can use whatever you want and it will transfer, but if you ARE attending a school and you ARE a student and the test is going to be used for credit towards a degree WHILE being a student then it must be certipoint.

That's what I'm getting out of it anyway..
  • Options
    Madmd5Madmd5 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So I'm currently a student at my local CC although this spring semester i'm only taking one online class because i don't need any more for my A.S degree. I plan on applying to WGU soon and taking the MTA Microsoft OS Fund. exam in order to get accepted into WGU..would i follow this rule now that since i'm student and want the MTA to transfer towards WGU i have to take exam through Certipoint?
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can see the policy is confusing but WGU has the document below I've included a link with for certs that one can transfer in.

Many MTA exams are listed on WGU's document pertaining to certs earned prior to beginning WGU, that you have passed (within the past five years) and, consequently, these can be accepted for transfer credit. Click this link and look at the many MTA exams listed.

Transferable IT Certifications
    "Transferable IT Certifications for WGU’s Online IT Degree Programs

WGU’s online IT bachelor’s degree programs require students to demonstrate IT experience through at least one of the following:
    • An associate’s degree in IT or the equivalent (A.A. or A.A.S. are acceptable)
    • Transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years
    • Three-plus years of IT work experience
    Below is a selection of IT certifications that are transferable to WGU. This selection is for your convenience only and does not represent a special endorsement. Note: For transfer, certifications must have been earned within the last five years...(scrolling down to the Microsoft section what words and exams are in front of your eyes? MTA. Ergo, this is not "my opinion" but, hmmmm, WGU's document and little room for misinterpretation)...

Microsoft Certifications

Transferable Certifications:
    "
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): Software Development Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): Web Development Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): Database Administration Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): Windows Server Administration Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): Networking Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): Security Fundamentals
    • Microsoft Technology Associate (MTA): Windows OS Fundamentals"
    WGU will accept them. If a non-student passes one of these and then applies to WGU, they will accept it. Microsoft grants you the cert and a university decides whether to allow it to be utilized for transfer credit or not. The rules set forth by Microsoft do not state that a non-student, after passing an MTA exam taken via Prometric directly, is banned from obtaining academic credit for it.

It is up to each university to define what is or is not "transferable."

One does not have to utilize Certiport as long as you passed the exams before you are accepted as a student. This is true of any cert.

So, that's a good thing with being able to transfer these in. But, the key is to pass any exam prior to applying to WGU.

And no one ever argued or denied any of what you just said in this post. I think you definitely misunderstood zidian's and my post as well.

The point I beileve that zidian was making that is if YOU ARE CURRENTLY a student of WGU and you are taking the class and exam for academic credit towards a WGU degree, it must be through certiport.
  • Options
    TechBoothTechBooth Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, I'm currently brushing up on MTA - Networking material to take this exam 3/29. If I'm understanding this correctly, none of the MTA exams will transfer to a BS IT related degree? I was hoping to start sometime later in the year or in 2014 and get more certs before starting.
  • Options
    TechBooth wrote: »
    So, I'm currently brushing up on MTA - Networking material to take this exam 3/29. If I'm understanding this correctly, none of the MTA exams will transfer to a BS IT related degree? I was hoping to start sometime later in the year or in 2014 and get more certs before starting.

The exam should transfer in whether WGU has the specific class or not as long as their is a class it can be transferred too. If you are worried about it possible not transferring then why not take the Net+ instead? The CompTIA exams (from what I have seen), if transferred in, are also counting toward the MTA exams since the MTAs are a lower level. Example being my Net+ and Security+ gave me a requirement met for the MTA networking and security courses.
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    TechBooth wrote: »

Check with an enrollment counselor. They have a list of all the classes an exam can be transferred in as. The list is pretty extensive for each class. Just keep in mind, if an exam can count for two classes, they will only count it for one. One exam to one class is the rule for credit.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014