After RHCE ?

a80ba80b Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I have around 3 years experience in Windows Administration and about 1 year in Risk and Compliance. I was always interested in the Linux field and finally have the opportunity to do so. I have been using Linux as my personal OS for a number of years now and am quite comfortable with it.

Im currently studying for RHCE - Hope to clear the exam by May 2013 end. My question is .... What next ? I am good with scripting, know a fair bit of SQL and Java. Should I go for a datacenter certification ? If so, what choices do I have ? I have also dabbled in virtualization (knowledge being close to zero) - but I am a good learner. What cert would complement RHCE in Virtualization or datacenter ?

Also hows Hadoop big data ? Will that be a Total change from my background ?

Anand
Goal: RHCSA >> Due: 6/2013 >> Progress: Basics done.
Goal: RHCE >> Due: 7/2013 >> Progress: Not Yet Started.
Goal: CEH >> Due: 9/2013 >> Progress: Basics done

Gig: AMD 1.8GHz, 4 GB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD Writer.

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    As a note, I believe the RHCSA is a requirement prior to RHCE.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Honestly, if you're going for a datacenter or virtualization cert, you might get more bang for your buck going for the VCP-DV certification after you knock out your RHCE, and save the Red Hat specialty for when it's time to renew or upgrade. It will be another high-profile cert to have on your resume, right along with the RHCE, and you'll training on one of the most commonly-used virtualization technologies out there. As a systems administrator/engineer - whether it's working with *NIX or Microsoft systems - the VCP is a great "partner" to a sysadmin cert like the RHCE (or, in my case, the MCSE,) certification.

As for Hadoop big data, I couldn't tell you. That's a whole different beast from my world. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I beleive they have an architect certification or a security certification. In the case of virtualization, like someone mentioned above look to VMware. It seems to be the most common platform for VM's and I can't see that changing anytime soon.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    As a note, I believe the RHCSA is a requirement prior to RHCE.

Yep it is ... you used to be able to sit the whole thing in one go, but now it is split .. you need to sit the RHCSA before you can attempt the RHCE.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    antielvis wrote: »
    I beleive they have an architect certification or a security certification. In the case of virtualization, like someone mentioned above look to VMware. It seems to be the most common platform for VM's and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

I wouldn't count out Hyper-V 2012. It's not all the way there but it's getting damn close and is something as a virtualization guy I will be looking at seriously in the lab this year. Either way VMware is certainly still the major player and you can't go wrong, just don't pigeon hole yourself into one technology vendor. Learn both!
    Normally, I'd agree with you, QHalo. However, since the OP is looking to get into work involving Linux, specifically Red Hat, there probably won't be much call for Hyper-V if that work's going to be taking place in shops that are Linux-only, or Linux-heavy. And, if there is a strong presence of Microsoft products, they probably won't let the Linux admin near that infrastructure. Then, of course, there's the issue of learning Hyper-V, which does require a bit of a background on Windows Server, which may or may not be in a80b's sphere of interest to spend time learning.

• QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Red Hat has their own virtualization solutions as well. Given the cost of VMware, someone working in a Red Hat environment might not be working exclusively with VMware either.
    Agreed. Red Hat's virtualization solution is also part of the RHCE portion of the RHCSA/RHCE path, isn't it?

• a80ba80b Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe VMware Virtualization Certs carry more weight than others although Hyper-V seems to be catching up fast. I dont know much about KVM. So what do u think is the best route to take after RHCE, given my background ?

Also can anyone tell me whether a hadoop cert would help with RHCE.

From my experience, a windows sys admin wont be sitting with AD and patching. We also had Vmware administration, storage, ESX administration, and some vbscripting, all rolled into that profile.

Im indian, based out of bangalore. Not wanting to start a flame war but Ive seen most indian sys admins shy away from scripting - I dont know why.

I for one, love scripting - it makes my life SO much easier.

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I have a different opinion. With 3 yrs of Windows and an RHCE, I think it's time to put the certifications on hold and start the job hunt. You need to back up your RHCE with some serious hands on server experience (2+ yrs minimum , and then diversify your experience (storage, some applications, database)...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

UnixGuy wrote: »
    I have a different opinion. With 3 yrs of Windows and an RHCE, I think it's time to put the certifications on hold and start the job hunt. You need to back up your RHCE with some serious hands on server experience (2+ yrs minimum , and then diversify your experience (storage, some applications, database)...

Sound advice. But Im "preparing" for an RHCE cert. I dont have any linux/unix certs yet.

Had a word with a testing centre for RHCE examination. The total cost of RHCSA+RHCE is Rs. 22750 which is around 420 USD. They're giving 2 attempts per exam. Both the exams need to taken on the same day. They also need me to buy Red Hat authorised books worth 6K INR. I dont know if thats necessary.

Thoughts ?