Options

Thought I had this under control.... i guess not

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
So the situation is I was enrolled in AAS program but never finished up. Seeing all the great things about WGU, I would love to go there(already pulled the trigger on the application icon_wink.gif , but I am having a hard time with deciding on weather I should go back and finish up the AAS or just dive into WGU. I went back to the local school last week and found out that I have some creds, but nothing to say I can complete it within a year. Pretty much it would take me 18-22 months to finish up the AAS, which I thought I had more creds than that. I was pretty set on WGU, but got side tracked, by if I go back to finish up the AAS then I transfer more classes over which in turn, I could complete the BS at WGU quicker. The problem is, go back, and take 2 years, then another 1 or 2 at WGU, that's 3 or 4 years, when I can just head to WGU and go at my own speed and finish within 2 years.

Any thoughts?

This is killing me lol.
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With even a few credits or credit-awarding certifications, you could finish WGU in the time you could finish the two-year degree. Maybe it will take you longer if you need a slower pace, but I personally don't see much reason to get the AAS. It really won't add anything after you've finished WGU, and I can't even imagine how it would take you less total time to get the AAS and BS than to just finish the BS directly, in this case. As far as short-term career value (ie, what you get before you finish your bachelor's), the certs earned during the WGU degree would easily match what you'd get from the AAS.

My vote it to go straight for WGU if WGU is what you want long-term.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would just jump into WGU. Take whatever credits you have and apply them to WGU. Dive in and finish with what you can.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    AAS vs BSIT, same time period, probably simialir price? Seems like a no brainer to me.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in the same boat as you when I started wgu. On the fence about finishing my AS or going into wgu and shoot for my BS. I went the route of going to WGU and haven't looked back yet, feeling confident that I made the right choice. I guess you have to look at the big picture and see where you wanna be in a few years.
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    YES! Thank you so much for the reply's. I was going back and forth on this for the past 2 weeks. Made a decision to go to WGU last week, then this week thought about it again, and decided to go back to the AAS to finish up so I could grab more creds. But forget it. Thanks to you, now the decision is made.

I feel relieved now. No more stressing about it. Good info. Thank you.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good decision!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In school now for my AS and I'm just going to move over to WGU in the fall to obtain my Bachelors. My potential increases with a Bachelors in my hand vs an Associates. Great choice OP.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I circled around the idea of going to WGU for like, two months, before I dived in. In retrospect, I'm still glad I went there.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers