What next?

TheMontuTheMontu Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello TE,

I've just passed my Security+ and I also hold an A+ cert.

I'm in a help desk role and now that I have my Sec+ I'm hoping I can get some experience on the Sys admin side so that in the near future I can become a Jr SA. (dod environment)

I'm trying to figure out what cert to start on next so that it will increase my odds of either obtaining the promotion (if it becomes available) or obtaining a new position elsewhere.

Since I skipped Net+ I almost want to do the CCENT because 1) I think it would fill the gap in my certifications. and 2) it’s a step toward CCNA

on the other hand should I just start working toward MCSA since that is more relevant to a sys admin role?

What do you guys think?

Comments

• webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing Security+! In regards to whats next, CCENT or MCSA, why not both? icon_cheers.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • TheMontuTheMontu Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    webgeek wrote: »
    Congrats on passing Security+! In regards to whats next, CCENT or MCSA, why not both? icon_cheers.gif

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking right now..I guess its just a question of which one first?
    TheMontu wrote: »
    Thanks, that's what I'm thinking right now..I guess its just a question of which one first?

I would do the CISCO route before M$....
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
    Is that because the material would help or because it adds more to your resume than the MS certs?
    Is that because the material would help or because it adds more to your resume than the MS certs?

While I think both should be obtained, I believe anything CISCO has a better ROI than anything M$. That is my opinion though.
    Sounds good, thanks for your opinion...the way I see it at least Cisco would give me a cert after one test VS having to take 3 before getting anything.

As for money invested..it should only be my time as my company will most likely reimburse me for it.
    Sounds good, thanks for your opinion...the way I see it at least Cisco would give me a cert after one test VS having to take 3 before getting anything.

As for money invested..it should only be my time as my company will most likely reimburse me for it.

Good luck and keep us updated! icon_wink.gif
    one last thing...I know everyone is different but how hard is the ccent? What's the average study time?

keep in mind I'm coming from no hands on experience..also with the new test versions coming up should I take the old or the new? How would the old ICND1 pair up with the new ICND2?

maybe I'll make a thread about it in the appropriate section
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would definitely go for both!! icon_thumright.gif

I started with Microsoft and now going into Cisco to round out my skillset having the best of both worlds
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63