What router for the new ccna (ios 15)

weasle37weasle37 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
sooooo.....new exams, new ios version, new planning stages.

I am thinking the 1841 will be the choice here, if someone has a better recommendation then by all means.

with the 1841 though, whats the amount of RAM needed for ios 15 256/64?

I tried finding it out in the feature navigator of ciscos page but that makes me want to rip my head off.

Thanks all.

Comments

• oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Do you really need 15... Why will 12.4 not be fine? Unless there is something not included.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • weasle37weasle37 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cisco says you need 15. Just going by what they say I suppose
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's possible you could use the latest release of 12.4T, but if Cisco recommends IOS 15, then that's what we should be shooting for.

*** EDIT ***

IOS 12.4 and 12.4T are still very much relevant and useful for certification-purposes. See below.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    I agree slowhand, so the question remains. 256/64?

I only press for the answer as I have the opportunity to buy some here pretty soon (next few hours) and don't want to spend the extra money on upgraded ram if I don't need to.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    To be safe I'd get 256/64 this way you don't have to worry about running AdvEnterprise or installing IOS 15 in the future.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    256/64, to be on the safe side with IOS 15.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For some reason the 2800 and 3800 series seem to run slightly cheaper than the 1800 series on Cables and Kits. That said, I had been considering a 7200, since it appears one could be built (Chassis + NPE + IO + PAs) for less than half what an ISR (1800, 2800, 3800) router would cost, but I would have trouble getting a copy of IOS 15 for the 7200.

A word of warning: Most ISR routers on eBay and elsewhere do not come with IOS 15 installed. I have even seen some running IOS 12.3. You'd think that the seller would [since most businesses should have a CCO account] simply install the newest IOS before selling to increase the sale value, but unfortunately many are being sold with archaic IOSes.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    You'd think that the seller would [since most businesses should have a CCO account] simply install the newest IOS before selling to increase the sale value, but unfortunately many are being sold with archaic IOSes.
    Probably because doing so unless the devices were covered under SmartNet would be a violation of the IOS licensing agreement (since they aren't licensed to run it). Routers don't get free upgrades like L2 switches do.
    Mother of god.....finding an 1841 with 256/64 is farking expensive. Anyone got any other ideas? looking at 2811, but all the ones on ebay are 256/128 and you need 384.

This whole "make everyone use ios 15" is going to turn this cert int a pretty expensive one to try getting. The answer for the longest time on getting this cert has been to pick up some 2600 series routers and have a go. That appears to no longer be viable.
  • Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could consider this a great incentive to go the virtualization route (no pun intended) and use GNS3 icon_smile.gif
    11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    You can get any 1841 you want and upgrade it yourself. You can buy a 256mb stick of memory and a bigger cf card for less then $20 of ebay. My 1841 got upgraded to 384/4GB. Buying a 4gb card off amazon was cheaper then a 128mb off ebay
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    weasle37 wrote: »
    Mother of god.....finding an 1841 with 256/64 is farking expensive. Anyone got any other ideas? looking at 2811, but all the ones on ebay are 256/128 and you need 384.
    Is upgraded memory really worth it?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
    Priston wrote: »
    Is upgraded memory really worth it?

It's just like a computer - cheaper to just buy one with less memory and upgrade it yourself. Personally, I don't know how much memory a router would exactly need, but if its cheap enough...I'd max it out anyways.
  • EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    It's just like a computer - cheaper to just buy one with less memory and upgrade it yourself. Personally, I don't know how much memory a router would exactly need, but if its cheap enough...I'd max it out anyways.

The biggest stick you can buy for the 1841 is 256mb so 128mb on the motherboard of the router + 256 stick = 384 max on the 1841. I don't think there is an actual limit on the compact flash port I just bought a 4gig because it seems to be the most popular so it was the cheapest. For ios 15 i believe you'll need atleast 64mb cf if not 128 you can just look at cisco's site to find out.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    7200 under GNS3 can use 15.0 or you can look into finding IOU. :)
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%

+1 for this idea..
  • jsb515jsb515 Member Posts: 253

+2 and a hoorah for this idea.
  • geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    Been awhile since I looked at Packet Tracer, anyone know what IOS is supported.
    geek4god wrote: »

Currently, various versions of 12. Packet Tracer 6 is supposed to support IOS 15, but I haven't seen it yet and have no idea when its expected to be released to anyone other than beta testers.
    geek4god wrote: »

Upto version 12.
    weasle37 wrote: »
    This whole "make everyone use ios 15" is going to turn this cert int a pretty expensive one to try getting. The answer for the longest time on getting this cert has been to pick up some 2600 series routers and have a go. That appears to no longer be viable.
    But you don't need IOS 15. The commands are the same as IOS 12

You don't assign ports IP addresses any different, you don't create VLANs differently.. there is no need to spend silly money on routers such as 1841s.
    Lab:
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Indeed, oli356 is absolutely right. It turns out that the only real and noticable difference between the later versions of IOS 12.4 and 15 is licensing, as confirmed by Jeremy Cioara. Looks like we can keep using our older devices for a few more years at least.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    oli356 wrote: »
    But you don't need IOS 15. The commands are the same as IOS 12

You don't assign ports IP addresses any different, you don't create VLANs differently.. there is no need to spend silly money on routers such as 1841s.

For the most part, this is correct. But, the new CCNA includes:
    • Licensing
    • Show license
    • Change license

It also includes a number of other new topics, which may or may not be supported on 12.4T. The new topics are:

OSPFv3
    FHRP
    VRRP
    HSRP
    GLBP
    Syslog
    SNMPv2
    SNMPv3
    Netflow
    PPPoE

If most or all of these topics are supported under 12.4T, you could probably just rent some rack time [on an IOS 15 router] to practice the licensing topic.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    @Theodoxa - I'm pretty sure 12.4 supports all of those protocols that you listed. :) Heck, 12.2 supports almost all of these (Double-checked by VPNing into a L3 switch in my corp and playing with commands on 12.2 and 12.4 switches)

No one really needs to spend a ton of money on equipment for IOS 15 just so they can learn how to show or change licensing. That's pretty much the only difference. From my understanding, syntax for the rest of the commands are the same. If you can't memorize the two or three commands to change or show licensing and you absolutely NEED to play with the commands over and over again, wait for the next release of Packet Tracer. Otherwise, just relax. Your current CCNA lab will be fine :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    It also includes a number of other new topics, which may or may not be supported on 12.4T. The new topics are:

OSPFv3
    FHRP
    VRRP
    HSRP
    GLBP
    Syslog
    SNMPv2
    SNMPv3
    Netflow
    PPPoE
    It also depends on the equipment it self though, when I was doing my SWITCH exam the switches did not support GLBP so I had to use 1841s instead of the switches for this. Then things like Syslog are hardly new ;) I'm interested in what they want people to know about it though...
    Lab:
    Syslog is a pretty quick subject at the NP level. Probably just setting up the logging level and where to log to, maybe the date/time format of the internal logs.

Gets a little more interesting toward the IE level, in regards to changing syslog to TCP, changing the port number. rate-limiting the amount of syslog, specifing a facility, and ID
    My Networking blog
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Theodoxa - I'm pretty sure 12.4 supports all of those protocols that you listed. :) Heck, 12.2 supports almost all of these (Double-checked by VPNing into a L3 switch in my corp and playing with commands on 12.2 and 12.4 switches)

No one really needs to spend a ton of money on equipment for IOS 15 just so they can learn how to show or change licensing. That's pretty much the only difference. From my understanding, syntax for the rest of the commands are the same. If you can't memorize the two or three commands to change or show licensing and you absolutely NEED to play with the commands over and over again, wait for the next release of Packet Tracer. Otherwise, just relax. Your current CCNA lab will be fine :)

Iristheangel is right. I also found this little tid bit from Paul Browning which is asking me the question why cisco is doing this ?
    I know somewhere someone out there will crack the GN3 thing for cisco version IOS 15 but until then we can use the old cisco IOS's.

Below if from Paul Browning
    The IOS used in the exam is v15 which you have to
    license online with Cisco. It costs at least $1,000 per
    router and switch! Or you can rent expensive rack time
    from Cisco. GNS3 will not run IOS 15.
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
    IOS 15 has been around for quite some time and its about time they updated the test for 15 at the NA there won't be much that is different so keep that in mind.

Some syntax will be different and output will be different but it's definitely not a completel overview.
    My Networking blog
  • oussamaoussama Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    plz how to update a router cisco to ios 15 in packet tracer !! it's urgent
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you Google it, it'll be a lot faster if you did it that way instead of posting to a forum.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****