The new CCENT! Pre-req for most other Cisco tracks - This is no "give-me" exam!

todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Take a look - I have TWO posts up my blog for the CCENT....Take a look at the labs in the new CCENT course! Tell me this isn't a BIG change!

Understanding Cisco’s new Certification Path | Lammle.com

Check out all the IPv6!!

This is the first book I am working on since it is MUCH harder and covers what the ICND2 and CCNA covered in the past!
Todd Lammle

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah, I'm not sure that "entry" is a fair description of how difficult the CCENT has become.
  • ch1vasch1vas Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I'm not sure that "entry" is a fair description of how difficult the CCENT has become.

At least it doesn't look as bad anymore that you don't need the CCNA for any advanced certs.

Is a comparison of old/new ICND2 topics already available?
    Goal 2013: CCENT (x); CCNA(x); Security+(x); ITIL Foundation ( )
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yep, go to Cisco's site and you can bounce the exam objectives off each other for the old and new exams.

This model looks very familiar. Anyone notice it now follows the Juniper certification path?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Am I missing something?Where is the design track - CCDA, CCDP?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So what happens if I have the older CCENT, does it still count as the newer one?..Even though it appears to be a lot easier?
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I checked out Cisco's website and verified it would count as the same.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    How much harder is the new ICND2 exam vs the old?
    I already know that the older ICND1 exam is easier.

Would I be able to take the Old ICND1 and the NEW ICND2? Would this be the easier combo of the old and new exams?
    Would I miss any key topics?
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    FYI, for anyone currently studying Sept 30 is the last day to test for current CCENT/CCNA exams. I'd better schedule mine...
    Am I missing something?Where is the design track - CCDA, CCDP?

CCENT is now a prerequisite. I'm glad that is happening. I thought it was ridiculous that you could achieve a network design certification without at least CCNA knowledge.

Would I be able to take the Old ICND1 and the NEW ICND2? Would this be the easier combo of the old and new exams?

The exams were just announced. How would anyone know which is harder?

You can look at the exam objectives and see which one seems harder to you.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    CCENT is now a prerequisite. I'm glad that is happening. I thought it was ridiculous that you could achieve a network design certification without at least CCNA knowledge.

Absolutely agree with you on this one but I just couldn't see the design track on the picture and panicked a little that they might have removed it :D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I don't know why everyone equates certification to knowledge. You can get the CCIE without a CCENT that doesn't mean you won't have the level of knowledge.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    It looks like the new ICND2 exam is quite easier than the old.
    Yes, you can & yes, that seems to be the easiest combination. Those of us whom have already begun our ICND1 (old) study seem to have really "lucked out" in these regards.

As for missing any key topics - what I plan to do is just cover the newer ICND1 material once I obtain CCNA (old ICND1 + new ICND2).

Edit:
    What I now wonder though is that since the new ICND1 is so much more thorough will that leave those of us whom are jumping from the old ICND1 to the new ICND2 ill-prepared?
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Xyro wrote: »
    Edit:
    What I now wonder though is that since the new ICND1 is so much more thorough will that leave those of us whom are jumping from the old ICND1 to the new ICND2 ill-prepared?

It looks like the new ICND1 has old ICND2 material on it.
    but it looks like the new ICND2 exam picks up off the new ICND1 and leaves a big gap in knowledge.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Networker: Cisco is selling it as knowledge. You are "certified" as knowing something. I have a problem with Design Associate not knowing how to implement their own design. It strikes me as odd. I fully understand that you don't have a to be certified in something to have the knowledge.
    It looks like the new ICND1 has old ICND2 material on it.
    Exactly
    but it looks like the new ICND2 exam picks up off the new ICND1 and leaves a big gap in knowledge.
    Great! (sarcasm)

I guess there are a few options here:
    Winging it & just taking the new ICND2 before covering the new ICND1 material (good luck with this haha).
    or
    Study the new ICND1 material before taking the new ICND2 exam (what??? more time now?? lol)
    or
    Attempting to rush it & fit in the old ICND2 before the deadline. (might be viable for some but near impossible for those of who work and/or are in school!)
  • MsafiriMsafiri Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Someone please verify my thinking, it looks like I have struck gold here! Have the old(easier) ICND1 and now I can skip ICND2 and go straight for CCNA security? And the security exam has not been updated right?
    Yes, that's what it looks like for Security, Voice, & Wireless now.
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like I will learn IPV6 on the job. IPv6 was barely mention in Cisco Net academy.

I wonder if the price of the Used ICND1 book has gone up?
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Moobs09Moobs09 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can't seem to find this info anywhere (still early I guess). Has anyone worked out if the old CCENT will alow you to go straight and study for the CCNA Voice? Or does the CCENT upgrade path only apply to the New CCENT?

If it does this could work to my benefit if that is the case...
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Moobs09, there's nothing really to work out. "Any valid Cisco CCENT, CCNA Routing & Switching.. can act as a prerequisite."

Networker, the similarities were not lost on me. :)
  • Moobs09Moobs09 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Must of missed the "any".. cheers.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Personally i think if you already have the CCENT and worried about the new exams, you could buy both books, read the new ICND1 and take the new ICND2 just so you do not have to worry about any gaps. Or you could just go for the old ICND2 and learn the rest on the job or using your favorite search engine to get the rest down.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice move by CISCO. CCENT compulsory gfor each track, sounds more like Juniper.. :P
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security