Options

Resume Advice: Which certifications to list or leave off (Comptia, CNSS)

Hello,

I am not currently applying for any positions but trying to keep my resume updated. I am primarily working in the DBA and Business Intelligence positions. I am starting to get to the point where I think it would be best to leave off certain certifications. Please let me know what you guys think! Here are my certifications:
  1. MCITP: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Database Administrator
  2. MCITP: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Developer
  3. MSCA: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Certified Solutions Associate
  4. MSCA: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Certified Solutions Associate
  5. CompTIA A+
  6. CompTIA Network+
  7. CompTIA Security+
  8. CNSS 4011 - Information Security Professionals
  9. CNSS 4012 - Sr. Systems Managers
  10. CNSS 4013 - System Admin
  11. MS Excel 2007
This is what I am thinking of having in my certification section:
  • MCITP: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Database Administrator
  • MCITP: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Developer
  • MSCA: Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Certified Solutions Associate
  • MSCA: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Certified Solutions Associate
  • CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+ Certified

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just curious why you would want to keep the CompTIA's on your resume when you are in BI/DBA role?

I would think the Excel certification would be somewhat advantgeous, since a lot of final analysis/crosswalks, end up in Excel.
  • Options
    UniqueAgEnTUniqueAgEnT Member Posts: 102
    Yeah I was not too sure and wanted some more advice to determine what are the most valueable certifications to have listed since I do not want a laundry list of certifications on my resume. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    1,2,3,4,7, 11. Not sure about the CNSS stuff, but definitely worth taking Net+ and A+ off. I would leave Sec+ on. It's not like security is irrelevant.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    I'm pretty much agreement with PT except for security +. However he makes a solid point, I just don't think much for the CompTIA exams and with your heavy hitting role specific certifications there really isn't a need IMO. You could even leave Excel honestly and just list 1 - 4. Try it with 1 -4 a few times and then maybe add Excel. Honest 7 nor 11 will end up breaking the deal.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    I'm pretty much agreement with PT except for security +. However he makes a solid point, I just don't think much for the CompTIA exams and with your heavy hitting role specific certifications there really isn't a need IMO. You could even leave Excel honestly and just list 1 - 4. Try it with 1 -4 a few times and then maybe add Excel. Honest 7 nor 11 will end up breaking the deal.

Sec+ meets DoD requirements, so it's useful.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Net+ and A+ are DOD 8570 certs too
  • Options
    It's going to depend on your audience to be honest.

If you are going to work for a defense contractor or the federal government then sure, but if you are applying for some private sector position then I would leave them off. (JMHO)
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As a person who has been in the position of helping make the decision on candidates, why would you exclude anything? Your complete list of certifications illustrates a person who started at a junior level, became proficient at their specialty & also has pursued education for a more managerial position. This demonstrates you're a well rounded and "deep" individual who also had the tenacity to pursue/complete their goals.

The only time I can see someone removing a certification is if it's something like the Certified Ethical Hacker. In certain environments (especially small teams) a SysAdm may get his nuts in a knot knowing on of his team members have superior security skills (making him a risk).

Your education paints a picture of you not just at this moment in time BUT throughout all your career. Why would you exclude anything?
  • Options
    Resume space is valuable. Old certs make it messier without adding value. A lot of certs can be especially bad.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, I agree some old certs can make it messy. Had he listed Novell certs I'd have said to remove them (unless the environment has Novell). The 3 Comptia certs are still active. I'd definitely add the Excel cert (and perhaps consider a Visio cert as those are handy in management positions).

As for the space argument on a resume. I'd argue that it's far more valuable to list educational accomplishments than it is list your "job duties" which is very common. I've seen server guys apply for jobs and they name the firm they worked for, their position then their daily duties which include "administration the servers" or "doing backups". THAT is a waste of resume space. It's like a chef applying for a gig and saying "cooked roast beef 30 times a day" or "baked muffins every morning".

Be granular in listing your educational acheivements. Be less granular in your job duties. I'd list the technologies you worked with & at what level versus listing the day by day. In my own resume I do the following: Certifications -> Skills table -> Employment History. In Employment history I put a general overview of what I did versus being granular.

Certifications are about more than showing HR you can pass the test. It's about showing HR & your potential employer you have the capacity to set goals & acheive completion of those goals. In the case of the OP and listing the A+ exam, it tells me one thing. This candidate sets goals & acheives them AND HAS FOR A LONG TIME. What this shows me is that continuous education is in his personality. He sets goals. He acheives goals. He did this years ago. He does it today. From that I'll assume he'll do that tomorrow.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Resume space is valuable. Old certs make it messier without adding value. A lot of certs can be especially bad.

+1 and we can't assume everyone (even IT folk) even knows what every certification is in the first place. Listing a bunch creates alphabet soup.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for contributing to this discussion. I believe that it is definitely a trade off between resume space and illustrating a complete candidate overview. I also agree that completely irrelevant certifications are not needed. I still believe that A+/Net+/Sec+ have some value at my current position, but they are definitely the least valueable based on the duties I have. I have been using them all on one line in my certifications to try to conserve space.

Here's another question for you guys: Which should I have first, Education or Certifications?
    My education includes:
    University of Arizona
    Masters in Management Information Systems - Dec 2012
    Bachelors in Management Information Systems - Dec 2010
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Education then certs IMHO
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    I'm in favor of value first. Usually, that's education, then certs. BS & MS in MIS is definitely a first-bill type of thing. If you had a CCIE and a BA in English, it might be a different conversation.
  • Options
    Okay I am thinking also. Right now this is my resume outlined:

Summary
    Education
    Experience
    Certs
    Awards
  • Options
    Without seeing your resume it's hard to tell but I am assuming you have some nice experience. Experience is king so I would focus on the summary then experience. Unless you finished high up in your class and went to Harvard, MIT, Stanford, I would list this 3rd. (I'm making an assumption so take it for what it's worth)

Each persons resume needs to be customized to their particular experiences and strengths.

In other words I don't know :)
  • Options
    raybfreeraybfree Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Make sure the resume focuses on the job you are attempting to get. Nothing is worse than having alot of irrelevant info, especially in a different technology/market space. It's my opinion that your resume should look and feel like the person they want to hire. By no means am I saying to fudge it, I'm just saying that your resume should highlight your abilities and experience in that discipline. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback!
  • Options
    raybfreeraybfree Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck buddy!