Options

Applying internally at a new company?

Just curious what everyone's opinion is on applying for another position within the same company I just started at. A little background: I am an Operations Analyst and started in early Nov (About 5 months on the job). Our company has a soft policy regarding moves internally where one year is required before you can apply for positions. This policy can be overlooked if the hiring manager, current manager, and department manager give approval. This is a smaller company but positions are rare for the Deskside group.

Do you guys think it would look bad to put my name into the application pool or would it be okay? This question is strictly about company politics and all other considerations (experience) are not a factor, just assume I meet the qualifications. I have confidence my boss would be okay with letting me move to another group as he is the kind of person who strives to ensure everyone succeeds.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    BigMevyBigMevy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It couldn't hurt to put your hat in. Typically those policies are in place more or less to protect the original manager and position, the idea being that you need someone to fill the position for a certain amount of time to make it worthwhile. Particularly if the position requires a lot of OJT to get up to speed.

By showing your interest, you at least demonstrate your ambition to learn and grow. The worse thing that could happen is your manager says no because they don't want to re-fill your current role. I doubt anyone would get terribly upset over it though.

My 2 bits anyway.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd speak to your boss about it first.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i would sit down with your boss an explain to him/her your interest in the new position, how it relates to your career goals ect. If you can get your boss on your side then it shouldn't be an issue at all. And Going and talking to your current boss about it first shows respect for their position.
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    I agree with networker. Speak to your boss about it first. He might even help you out.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Same here, I'd check with my line manager what he thinks .. At the end of the day he will have to let you go too and the last thing you want is him feeling "overrun" with your application.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreement: Check with your manager. There is no reason to risk it being a problem by not doing that. If he doesn't agree with it, but not checking first you've made it a big problem. Even if you're confident he will, it will only hurt to not ask.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Awesome, thanks for the input guys. A next question I would have, following the advice given: Should I speak with my Lead or my Manager about this? I report to my Lead, but my Manager hired me and would have to make the final call on approval. In addition, my Manager relies heavily on input from Leads.

Thanks
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Talk to both of them. Last thing you want is someone internal to feel as if you are going behind their back.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed again. The real question is, who first? Not knowing more details, I would say the lead first, but that probably doesn't matter as much. Definitely talk to both.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Always talk to your direct supervisor first....stepping over toes is a no no
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    So, a few months have passed and human resources FINALLY posted the position I am interested in. I went and had a private meeting with my manager today and expressed interest in the position and asked about the policy, his concerns, etc. I skipped the lead simply due to the business culture around here. I respect her opinion, but it didn't apply so much in this situation. Anyway, my manager will speak with his boss and get back to me but did encourage me to apply.

It was the first time the opportunity to talk had come up sense I forwarded him my MCTS. He congratulated me, indicated that he expected no less of me than to want the job and indicated that he had been forwarding all my certifications to his boss to make sure my name was well known. From what he says, the company has a high interest in helping me to reach my goals because I am motivated. He went on to say that anyone could be trained in IT, but you cannot train character and determination and as such, he believes losing me to another department is still moving the company in a good direction.

Once I get the go ahead from the higher ups, I will have to tackle the interview process. The cards are stacked against me, but I hope it will turn out well. Thanks for the advice in these situations. My manager really appreciated the fact that I came in and asked. He told me I didn't need to, but it showed respect and genuine interest in what is best for the team - both rare qualities apparently.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
  • Options
    naclh2onaznaclh2onaz Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What position are you after?
    2017 Goals:
    CISSP [X]
    2018 Goals:
    CRISC [ ]
  • Options
    Hoping to make the move from Operations to Deskside. Unfortunately the company I work for uses OPS as a catch all for more than just IT work. I have learned a lot, but I would be more challenged at a new position.
  • Options
    ncisivencisive Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Edit - Wrong Thread.