Options

Signed a new contract, yesterday ;)

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
Just trying to increase the positive vibe in TE, I too signed a new contract ( http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/87699-signed-new-contract-today.html )

2 months ago I quit my job after 2 yrs of unix system administration in one of the banks...and I didn't have a job lined up nor was looking for another job. I had little money saved so I thought of travelling and backpacking for a while.

During my notice period and while I was doing hand over , I was contacted (through Linked In) by a bank in another country for a Unix Administrator position. It's a 6 months contract (renewable), where I'll basically manage a Solaris environment, with a little bit of vmware, storage, and linux. I took it because it's a new country (and I love travelling), and because I could use the money to sponsor my future travels ;)

Moral of the post: this is not the first time I get job offers through Linked in. Work on your profile (without your current employer finding out icon_lol.gif ) and join groups. The recruiter contacted me through a group called "Unix administration".
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Which country are moving to if you don't mind me asking? I love traveling as well and I miss my international traveling jobs....Tokyo, Alaska, Hawaii, Paris, Rome.......o how I miss thee icon_cry.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    Very nice, was gonna ask the same as ^ :)
    good luck with the new job!
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Interesting story
    Pretty bold to leave your job without another lined up

Now off to work on my LinkedIn page....

and congrats!
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats!Traveling is great and you're going to change things up, sounds great!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I keep thinking about updating my LinkedIn Profile .. maybe I should really get cracking on it.

Edit: dang - they aren't cheap for what it is :s
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Unix awesome work! Gratz
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! I honestly forsee this being my future at some point. I want to do a few years at a nice size firm (getting into Linux/Python/Ruby/DevOPS) and then just contract my way around. My main fear is the lack of health insurance and perhaps a lack of a steady paycheck as I have student loans. I read an article recently about a guy who moved to Malaysia and was living off of $15 an hour as a programmer.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Congrats on the new position! Hope you get to traveling and the new country is interesting!
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Big congrats and good luck on your new job and exploring the new country icon_smile.gif
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    cool story... I had quit joining groups on LinkedIn, but I guess I will get back to it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark