Options

Please Critique My Resume!

NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
I've had my resume critiqued before, but I tweaked my original to be geared towards an infosec role. I am getting out of the Navy soon and just want my resume to be looked at a few more times! Thanks in advance!
A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
B.S. - Computer & Network Security

Comments

• Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Love the format! Looks solid...if you don't mind me asking why are you leaving the Navy and what grade are you as a officer?

I'm thinking about joining the reserves.....
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Thanks webgeek. I am actually not an Officer. I'm an E-5. The title "Information Assurance Officer" is just a title given to the person responsible for all of the IA stuff at my command.

I'm leaving the Navy because I'm overworked and underpaid, being on a ship sucks and the time that I have to spend away from my wife and kids is just not worth it. I'd take a pay cut at this point just to get out, and the way things are going with sequestration right now (and probably years to come), it's not the place to be.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck to you Petty Officer! The private sector is definitely the place to be plus you have a security clearance. Have you looked at Lockheed or others in the area? When do you get out?
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FWIW, that's a solid resume that does a great job highlighting your education, experience, and skills.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh I like the format too - but I doubt it would work for me as I cannot squeeze everything on a single page :D
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Love the format as well, hope you don't mind if I incorporate it into my own?
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Oh I like the format too - but I doubt it would work for me as I cannot squeeze everything on a single page :D

+1 Format is unique and stands out, nice!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not a fan of the format. I like the resume over all though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used this format for a while because I thought it looked cool and didn't get much traction. After playing around with other styles I find this one ends up feeling way too cramped for me anyway.

Your content is good, though.
  • Options
    TheMontuTheMontu Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice,

I work for Lockheed and if you apply they consider your time in the military as time with the company.
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Looks good. You should put what level of clearance you have (secret, Top Secret, etc). Also you could put what level of 8570 requirements you meet. Some employers look solely for that, at a glance it looks like 8570.1 IAT level II. These change though so you should look up what the requirements currently are.

https://www.isc2.org/dod-fact-sheet.aspx

Hope it all works out for you!
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it's a great way to get all your information on one page, for sure. However; I agree with others that it feels a bit cramped. If you need to add more to it in the future, I would recommend changing it up and splitting it out to two pages so it doesn't feel as compact. Resume's should feel easy on the eyes and the layout should let your eyes smoothly flow over it.

The biggest importance of a resume is the initial look. If within the first 2-3 seconds you're still unsure of where to begin reading, you have a problem. You want your resume to facilitate someone who is going to "glance". That 2-3 second "glance" should attract their eyes to something unique about you that makes you stand out. Your whole goal for the first 2-3 seconds is to grab their attention so they continue reading more (which extends the length of time they spend on your resume).
  • Options
    -hype-hype Member Posts: 165
    Yeah the format doesn't look good. I am used to reading from top to bottom. Don't know how people would respond to it. I would play it safe.
    WGU BS IT:Network Administration
    Started: 10-1-13
    Completed: 9-21-14
    Transferred: 67 CU Completed: 54 CU
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I showed it to my boss, he said based off the lay out he might skip over it. To me it reads like a flyer trying to grab your attention big ticket items. With your Military, education and experience you will have a lot of opportunities. I know my Military experience a lone landed me quite a bit of interviews.
  • Options
    Thank you all very much for the feedback. It's hard to get a feel for if this is a good format or not based on the mixed reviews I've gotten in this thread so far! Rosco, showing this resume to your boss was a big help though. Knowing that he may pass it over based on format alone has caused me to put more thought into if this is the format I want it to be in though. The biggest thing for me, I think, is that I didn't want it to be over 1 page since I only have had one IT job. More than one page with one job seems a bit much. Are there any other formats you guys have seen that would fit all of my information on one page? Deathgomper, thanks for the tip on the 8570.1 IAT level II suggestion. I will put that on there somewhere if applying for DoD jobs. As far as the clearance goes, last time I posted my resume I was encouraged to leave the level of my clearance off of the resume, because it was too revealing... but who knows.