Options

Would you guys mind if I added some of ya'll on Linkedin?

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Feel free to add me. I keep my LinkedIn profile updated with my skills/experience like my resume. I like some of the groups and networking with other IT professionals icon_thumright.gif

Zach Filstrup | LinkedIn
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Here's mine:

Zorodzai Mhlanga | LinkedIn

I have a few connection from TE already. I haven't been contacted by recruiters but it's most likely due to my location, Linkedin isn't that popular yet in my neck of the woods.
  • Options
    headshotheadshot Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You guys think it would be legit if I made a profile with no experience in the field. Graduate in April don't even know who to add. I notice profs and the chair all have profile, is it customary to ask them first.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    headshot wrote: »
    You guys think it would be legit if I made a profile with no experience in the field. Graduate in April don't even know who to add. I notice profs and the chair all have profile, is it customary to ask them first.

No reason not to create a profile. In your case, you would create a statement of what you would like to become, and highlight your educational background and your certification. It takes time to build a professional network, so get started now!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My LinkedIn is still a work in progress, but I'd love to connect with Techexams members.

My LinkedIn
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    kaneohe7kaneohe7 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think mines in my signature :) just posting to test but feel free to connect. PS. If people from here do want to add me can you mention it in to invite. I get lots of random requests and only accept when I know its not just spam.

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/devilwah/
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Muhammad AbaidMuhammad Abaid Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is my profile Link ... love to add Techexams Member

MY LINKEDIN PROFILE LINK
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If anyone would like to add me as well, I would be happy to expand my network. It's pretty small so far.

Also, please mention this site in your request. I've gotten a couple random ones lately, and I have no idea who these people are.

My LinkedIn
  • Options
    finhackfinhack Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Feel like we've done this before. Justin Hutchens | LinkedIn
  • Options
    gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • Options
    I would just like to thank everyone that sent me connection request from Techexams. I am really honored that so many highly qualified professionals took their time to do so considering I quite literally green in the IT field...only knowing academic book smarts and certification smarts. Again, thank you- your profiles are inspiring.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My ultimate goal is to get to the san diego california area but for now i am in Florida, connections from linkedin are greatly appreciated

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=298491672&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile
  • Options
    typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I quit using it a few years ago, but just recreated an account there. Hit me up!

Brad Lodgen | LinkedIn
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nyblizzard wrote: »
    I've had an account since 2010 but never really filled out information or took advantage of it besides accepting the few friends who have requested me. Would really like to get connected to a bunch of professionals in the industry I want to succeed in icon_rolleyes.gif

www.linkedin.com/pub/mike-ortiz/26/6b0/290/

It's not much but I promise to start using it soon icon_cool.gif

Invite sent.

edit: Invite sent to several members.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I accept LinkedIn add-requests from TE members, as long as I know that's where I know you from. Random "friend-requests" on LinkedIn from people who don't write anything at all to let me know who they are or where I know them from I tend to ignore. I've got my social media links in my signature.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I never realized how QUALIFIED some members are on here, yet are so modest about what they achieved. It is very nice to receive connection invitations, yet, I am still having trouble trying to request connections since it requires an email verification. I really do enjoy reading other members' previous job descriptions and how they ascended up in the IT career path. I'm such a nerd now. So besides labbing and studying, I would like to know just what was "it" that employers saw in you (as entry level) that made them take the risk in hiring you?

Was it your ambition to learn?
    The knowledge you gained?
    Possessing certain degree or certs?
    Or is it something that I am missing?

I really don't want to hear "experience" since everybody, at one time, started off green...if you can remember that far back in your journey.
  • Options
    dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just saw your profile. Noticed you also did the DOE internship. Lol small world.
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was wondering why I had started receiving so many invitations today, needless to say I was pleasantly surprised icon_cheers.gif
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    It's a great community here and I'm grateful that I went from "lurker" status for so long to actually joining it. You thread has definitely grown since last year.
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doyen wrote: »
    I would like to know just what was "it" that employers saw in you (as entry level) that made them take the risk in hiring you?

Well, I'm not one of those highly qualified people you are talking about, but my first IT job (basic bench tech work) was through a Craigslist ad that I applied to. It was just part-time basic computer repair like Geek Squad, but through a local guy who had been in business for almost 20 years. He knew the town inside-out, knew how to take care of customers, had a clean, modern shop, and it was actually a fun place to work. I had A+ and Net+ at the time, but didn't have any real IT experience, so he threw me on the bench and tested my abilities by letting me install Windows 7 on a machine from start to finish. It was a really basic task, but he wanted to see if I could do it without needing help, and he wanted to see how I worked. However, he just needed a person who could install an OS, clean up viruses, and could interact with customers.

My next job after that was a short-term contract gig through TEKsystems doing a Windows 7 migration. They wanted an A+ and if you had experience, great; if not, no problem. The title was Desktop Support Tech, which looked good on my resume for having so little experience, and I was able to roll that into my current gig doing full-time desktop support.

Not much to say other than that. I've had good luck with interviews, but I don't ever really get nervous anymore after sitting through two promotion boards in the Army, and I think that helps a lot when you can relax and even joke around with the person/people interviewing you. Half of the interview is just getting them to like you.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Doyen wrote: »
    I would like to know just what was "it" that employers saw in you (as entry level) that made them take the risk in hiring you?

Was it your ambition to learn?
    The knowledge you gained?
    Possessing certain degree or certs?
    Or is it something that I am missing?

I really don't want to hear "experience" since everybody, at one time, started off green...if you can remember that far back in your journey.
    There's no quantifiable way to really show what it was any of us did or said to get ourselves hired for that first big IT job, nor can I speak to the mindset of the employers that took the risk. I can tell you this, though, there were lots and lots of interviews in my path up the ladder.

The biggest factor for me was getting in front of people and actually getting a chance to interview and present myself. I studied for the certs that interested me, as well as a few that seemed to be in demand, and I basically wallpapered the San Francisco Bay Area with my resume until I started getting called back. For every job I've applied to, there have been some pretty hefty requirements and "nice-to-have" lists, most of which I didn't have. Every job I've held since getting out of retail has listed a Bachelor's degree (or better) as an absolute requirement, and I'm still working on mine; the best I've got at the moment is a G.E.D. The trick is to get into that seat, to look across a conference table and get a chance to talk to managers. You work on your technical skills, make sure you know your stuff well enough to be able to do the job you're applying for, and then it's a matter of presenting yourself. Folks who work in sales can tell you all about how easy it is to sell a product you both understand and really believe in, and you're going into those interviews basically trying to sell the idea of hiring you to these managers. Learning how to be comfortable talking to people, how to show how valuable you can be, and learning to roll with questions (and sometimes admit you simply don't know the answers) is definitely a skill that needs honing.

So, if I can give any advice at all it's this: get your resume out there, get as many interviews for jobs you're confident you can do, and start interviewing. I send out anywhere from 25 - 200 resumes total when I'm job-searching, and I usually only get interviews for a small portion of those applied for, so I have to make the best of each chance I get to go in, shake hands, and make the case for why I'm the best choice out of all those well-qualified people that have sat in that chair. You're going to screw up, you're going to think of the right thing to say to that ONE question when you're getting in your car and driving home, you're going to want to smack yourself for tanking an easy question because of nerves; it takes time to develop those interview-skills.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Slowhand said pretty much everything you need to know. My situation was a little different, cause I got in as an intern, but a big one for me is determination. Whatever you're doing, don't let anyone/anything get you down or stop you. Be relentless in your endeavors and people will see it.
  • Options
    typfromdacotypfromdaco Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Changed my address, here we go.

www.linkedin.com/in/thomasgillespie2
    2015 certification goals: [ X] ICND2
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    One thing is don't sound two desperate though. try to come across as passionate that IT is waht you want to get in to. Also when they ask "where do you see your self in 5 years". resist the urge to say "a senior engineer/manager looking to become a director".

when I have interviewed for junior positions I want to heard that a person is interested in IT, will put in the effort them selves to progress in there knowledge. And is eager to learn and discover what it takes to be successful. I know if they put in the effort they will naturally progress, but people who just expect to progress very quickly, end up the ones who complain about every thing but do nothing to resolve anything.

Accept that your first job is a time to prove your self, look for jobs that might be interesting to you as you will naturally come across better in an interview if you have a real interest. and remember that for you first job the employer is taking a risk on you, and you are asking them to take you on your word. don't expect the exact job you want, but do well in it and you will be in a position to move on and up with in a short time.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    I got a few opinions from people and decided that it was best for me to change my LinkedIn picture from what my TechExams avatar is to a picture of me next to my network rack. I would like to thank everyone that connected with me. It is a real honor to be connected with some people with such great credentials. bowing.gif It is inspiring to see the path that many of you went through to get where you are today!
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm a little late to the party. Here's my linkedin:

https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=45815713
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology