Options

Would you guys mind if I added some of ya'll on Linkedin?

Comments

• Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    What I loath is their lack of anti-spam. I was in a group where I had to report more than 100 posts by an individual for spamming. He would take articles from other news sources and link them through his website to get his traffic up. People like that really grind my gears.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    wow I guess I havent seen that side of linkedin. I do sometimes get recruiters contacting me for stuff that makes no sense what so ever. I'm a network person, they contact me for weird stuff like a tractor driver or business analyst.
    meh
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate when people endorse me on skills they have not witnessed me using or applying.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    I hate when people endorse me on skills they have not witnessed me using or applying.

I'm sure 80% of endorsements on LinkedIn are of this nature lol.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Mostly what is in bold below:

You have had 6 new views this week!

Recruiter
    Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Anonymous

Who-is-this-person?
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »

Agreed. I had someone add me and endorse everything and I was a bit confused when there are things that they've never seen or even heard of me doing.
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    mackenzae wrote: »
    I'm sure 80% of endorsements on LinkedIn are of this nature lol.
    Hey, when our admin assistant endorsed me for BGP, I was quite proud!
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ccie14023 wrote: »
    Hey, when our admin assistant endorsed me for BGP, I was quite proud!

Thanks for the laugh! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Someone put Windows XP as an endorsement for me, when I don't even have that as my skill set. I have Windows OS on it, not specific, and I keep getting asked by LinkedIn if I want to add it. I keep saying no but the damn thing keeps asking, so I just did it anyway.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For endorsements you can turn them off so people can't update them. I have been thinking about doing this myself. Do they really do anything anyway?
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can I add some of you guys :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    You can ad me if you want ally_uk https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottereese
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sure, I don't have a very detailed page, but here it is...
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaeldweaver84

• Options
  • Options
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    You can ad me if you want ally_uk https://www.linkedin.com/in/scottereese
    How do you get the logos of the certs you have to show up like that on your page?
  • Options
    Can I endorse you for XP?
  • Options
    Jasiono wrote: »
    How do you get the logos of the certs you have to show up like that on your page?
    I logged into to the cert portal and it is available in there.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Yes, make sure you say I'm an expert.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I lol when I get jobs from recruiters on Linkedin cause I don't even think there real job, just a job posting with every keyword known to man, like this one I got today:

any of the Cisco certifications, wow are they really a commodity that one if better than the other. to me a CCIE trumpets them all.

Job Title: Senior Network Engineer/Network Lead
    Duration: Long Term

Job Description:
    • Lead technical implementation and testing of network components in Data Center network – predominantly Cisco with Nexus platform, Cisco ASR, Cisco 650x platform, Cisco ASA, F5 VIPRION, Palo Alto devices supporting VM environment.
    • Minimum 10+ Years Networking Experience; must have led delivery of a network infrastructure project, or a large scale network operations function.
    • Candidate must have a strong understanding of Cisco routing and switching lines.
    • Expertise with QOS, BGP, AVPN and cellular wireless required.
    • One or more of the following certifications is required - CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, CCSP, CISSP or equivalent
    • Experience and advanced insight with Nexus 2K/5K/7K.
    • Experience with the following is desired: F5 Big IP LTM/GTM, Cisco Client, F5 Firepass, Zenoss, Algosec, QRadar, Stealth Watch, Sourcefire, Palo Alto Firewalls, Cisco ASA Firewalls.
    • Considered SME in technology field and has expert knowledge of equipment, protocols, technologies, services, and monitoring tools.
    • Excellent understanding of networking and firewall technologies
  • Options
    Oh please do!
  • Options
    I sent you an invite, both of you. No Xp I promise.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm surprise to hear that you guys get so much spam. I don't think I ever get any. I personally like LinkedIn a lot. I was a very early user but I stopped using it for a long while and I recently restarted using it. I really like Pulse a lot.
  • Options
    I sent you an invite, both of you. No Xp I promise.
    I think we were already a connection beforehand. I remember reading your blogs and you linking your profile within one of them, or something like that.
  • Options
    Interesting, I did go through a major douching at one time, but it was mainly a bunch of weird recruiters asking me if I would like to work on the help desk or system admin positions.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I get emails from recruiters for temp jobs.

If you look at my profile it shows I am currently employed full time. Why would I leave and take a temp job for 3 months. Every single one has been 8-5 not project based.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dislike the number games that some people keep posting.

Thanks to Techexams group I am connected to people in USA and Europe :)
    https://www.linkedin.com/groups/TechExamsnet-1154297/about

One good thing about being in a small country and connecting to random IT people on Linkedin is that when you go to IT related events you feel that you know some of the people that you never seen before.

In a recent course "IT Governance - boring but enlightening" from a group of 12 I had 2 as first level connections and I have never seen them before".
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    I deleted my LinkedIn recently. I might make one once I get into Mid-Sr position in my track, lol.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Things that drive me crazy:
    - random invites to connect without an explanation on why the hell you want to connect
    - endorsements: we all hate them
    - guys from the other side of the world asking "what is the best <insert technology here>" and never explain the need or follow up on responses
    - people responding to the above blindly and in a fanboish tone without understanding the needs of the OP
    - random marketers that start communication with "CyberguyPR, is this of value?"
    - anyone whose posts center around Forrester and Gartner stuff
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I turned off all notifications, endorsements, and updates. I hate seeing that crap in my inbox and in my feed.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    When I used to review resumes and applicants I would search LinkedIn. It's interesting how applicants will tailor their resume to a job posting but forget that LinkedIn is public. Familiar connections is also a useful way to enquire about the individual.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    MowMow Member Posts: 445 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm still pretty new here, but feel free to send me a connect request. I am not very active on LI, though.

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dave-mowery/a/666/545