Options

Where to go next?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
So it seems like for a lot of you, you know where to go. I am currently working @ a service desk and have been here almost 2 years

My main job is troubleshooting, password resets, remote access calls, printer support ect. First line. I am not sure where to go next, I was thinking to study for CCNA as i'm really interested in networking and would probably always have a job

Is this a reasonable career path? I'd like to eventually like to get into IT security

Comments

• Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I'm not sure this question can be answered by anyone but yourself and some time.

I for one thought I really liked networking until I came across this little thing called project management and suddenly it REALLY interests me.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    CCNA is a good selection for someone "really interested" in networking; however, if you're completely new to networking I highly suggest you cover the Network+ material first. It will give you a firmer foundation in the knowledge of networking.

You're also interested in IT security... which would then be a somewhat different path than one focused merely on networking itself. For this I would also suggest you begin with the Network+ material as you will need the foundational knowledge of understanding networking itself to be able to secure said networks.

You have 2 possible immediate paths:
    1. Networking path - Network+ then CCNA
    2. Security path - Network+ then Security +

I would study the Network+ material first, then I would take a look at both the CCNA material & the Security+ material & see which 1 of those seemed more interesting to me. That would then be the path I would choose.
  • Options
    what type of job role could i get w/ network+ and security+?
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yea I thought networking was where I wanted to go until I learned about linux and databases and scripting. Now I'm a Jr Admin working towards getting the title and pay of a full sys admin.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    W Stewart wrote: »
    Yea I thought networking was where I wanted to go until I learned about linux and databases and scripting. Now I'm a Jr Admin working towards getting the title and pay of a full sys admin.

Yeah, its more important to slip into something you naturally like than pick something you think you might like that coincidentally should double your salary.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Don't let a lot of us fool you into thinking we knew what path we were going to take. I've left mine very open so that I've been able to take good opportunities that come up. If I were you I'd focus more on getting out of service desk than trying to get into any one specific position right now.
  • Options
    i couldn't agree more, its too easy right now, the hard part is figuring out where to go, i kinda want to go desktop - sys admin route