Options

3rd Interview, what to expect.....

TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
Finally got an opportunity to work for a company that I wanted to work for years now that I'm in the interview process, I'm anxious but skeptical. This is a Sr. Infosec position with great pay and benefits (vacation days are 27 days coming in). My first interview was a phone interview with the hiring manager and two other guys. The phone interview went great. I was informed that they wanted to bring me in for a second interview which would be face to face with the same individuals plus an additional team member. The second interview started at 10am, we talked about my experience, my goals, their goals and technologies. The team members and myself kicked it off nicely, I couldn't really read the hiring manager. During my questions that I asked at the end when the hiring manager states, "So what questions do you have for us?", I stated, "What qualities are you looking for in a candidate for this position?". One of the team members stated, "You!". I became really bashful, I've never heard that before in a interview. So we concluded around 11:45. So the next day, the higher manager called and said that he wants to schedule a third interview with his boss which is the director and wants me to meet the Application Manager as well. What does this mean and what to expect? I've never had a third interview......

P.S. This position wasn't posted, after the second interview, they posted the position informing me to apply for it. I guess this was more of a HR SOP.
Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    So the next day, the higher manager called and said that he wants to schedule a third interview with his boss which is the director and wants me to meet the Application Manager. What does this mean and what to expect? I've never had a third interview......
    This is a very good sign! These are people whose time they don't waste unnecessarily. Aim to be well-rested, punctual, and mentally prepared. Have intelligent questions ready. These folks typically aren't up-to-date on their technical certifications, and will grade you more on how you act, think, organize your thoughts, and present yourself. Though, the topics may still be technical. :)
  • Options
    Yeah I was just disappointed not to get an offer after the second interview since the hiring manager loved my qualities.
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just keep on doing you! I've been offered a job after 5 interviews!!! I was like ZOMG?!?!? But it was worth it icon_wink.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Before they present you an offer they probably need approval from the operation manager/CEO and that is why they want to schedule a 3rd interview so you can meet the "big boss" and get his approval.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Even third might not be it. My last process was

1. Interview: Phone with agency
    2. Interview: Phone with line manager and technical people
    3. Interview: In person with people from second
    4. Interview: Senior a architect/Head of department
    5. Interview: HR
    6. Interview: CTO

Bear in mind-last two were merely formality and not technical. More like the 'why us, where do you want to be style'.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Well actually @jibbajabba, my experience is kinda similar to yours;

1. Interview: Phone with agency
    2. Interview: Phone with hiring manager and his engineers
    3. Interview: In person with people from second
    4. Interview: Director (Department Head) and Application Manager and his analysts - Monday, April 1, 2013 at 11am

What should I expect from the next interview?
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm just gonna jump the gun and be the first to say congrats. They obviously want you for the job. The rest is most likely just protocol. Just keep doing what you're doing to impress them.
  • Options
    @W Stewart, I hope you're right, keep sending good vibes lol
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Generally the interviews after a technical interview are "meet & greet" type. Considering the people you're meeting, they may ask some high level questions, your goals, technology trends, etc.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You'll probably want to search online for some questions to ask of the interviewer(s). In my last interview, they were really impressed of the questions I asked of them. I had a list of ten questions.

P.S. If you are wondering, yes, I got the job.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    After multiple interviews, some times you have to just ask for the the job.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A lot depends on the company and their hiring culture.

It sounds like you are interviewing at a fairly large corporation. In that environment, third and fourth interviews are "probably" just customary. Where I work, I often do third or fourth level interviews but it's mostly because the hiring manager just wants buy-in. Usually, it's because the hiring manager is looking to their management to re-assure that the right candidate is being hired. Unless the hiring manager is inexperienced, most directors and VP's are going to let the manager make the ultimate decision - otherwise it undermines the manager's authority.

Unless you are interviewing for a management position, this interview may just be a "buy-in" phase from the hiring manager.

Hiring someone is a considerable investment for any company, so multiple interviews should be the norm.

Hopefully you are not superstitious so I don't want to jinx it - but congratulations in advance. I hope to hear that you got the job.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I think the hiring process is very similar from Alaska to Argentina.

My last process was:

1-Phone interview with HR(pre screening)
    2-Skype interview with hiring manager
    3-Onsite interview with HR and operations manager and also a 2 hours test
    4-Onsite interview with IT director
    5-2 weeks later they called me back to verify my personal information and salary expectation then they sent me an email with a formal offer.
  • Options
    How was your interview with the IT director?
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I am currently in talks and it has gone like this:

1. Phone with HR
    2. Phone with Hiring Manager
    3. In person with Hiring Manager and Team Lead
    4. In person with night time Technical Lead
    5. In person with day time Technical Lead

and there have been multiple phone calls in between and after..
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    TBRAYS wrote: »
    How was your interview with the IT director?

Review of my background:
    * Oh i see you were promoted to how did you get that promotion, i see you reduced the IT budget by *** please explain to me how do you plan an it budget.

From your resume i like the following: Here says You like to develop, train and guide individuals and teams, turning them into top performers please explain how do you do that and what makes you suceed on that area.

A few technical questions related to the type of things the hired person will be doing on a daily basis.

How do you handle "insert situation here",

This is what i'm looking for in a person you think you have it? why?

This is what we have planned for this years and we need a person to be in charge of this and that, if we hire you how would you make it happen? what would do to improve it?

An induction to the company business and how can i fit in their department, what do you think about yourself, tell me about yourself, why should I hire you and not the other 2 candidates that i will be interviewing in a few hours, I have to make a decision today so make it easier for me and tell me why you.

A quick trip around their facilities then thank you have a nice day and i hope to hear from you soon.
  • Options
    Great insight, seems like directors are only concerned about numbers and plans.
  • Options
    May vary, some IT directory may ask you technical questions and just that, some other personal questions, some other a mix of both and some other more about your plans, few question to see if you are cut for whatever they are doing or just to meet you.
  • Options
    chmod wrote: »
    May vary, some IT directory may ask you technical questions and just that, some other personal questions, some other a mix of both and some other more about your plans, few question to see if you are cut for whatever they are doing or just to meet you.

Well I hope its just a meet and greet, because I'm getting exhausted. lol