Options

How's everyone's 2013 goals and resolutions coming along?

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was just re-reading some of the threads from the start of the year about New Year's resolutions and goals for 2013. The first quarter ends in a few days.

How's everyone's resolutions and goals coming along?

My own goals was centered around career improvement through networking. Although I haven't actually started to do much with LinkedIn or digital mediums. I've started to do a better job by speaking at 2 conferences so far. My second goal was to start looking for another job but I've only got as far as to update my resume. My last goal was to improve my knowledge on privacy laws - so far I bought some training materials.

Comments

• Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    My goal this year is to complete CCENT and to start 2nd half of CCNA (hopefully complete by end of the year), so far i've done 3 chapters for CCENT

My goal next year will be to get a network job
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Passed the CEH and on my way to the CCNP which should take a few more months. Tomorrow I'm taking the CFHI.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Im on target. Taking CEH Wednesday next week and trucking along with my masters degree. A's in both my classes.
    Good luck tomorrow Iristheangel!
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I started this new position doing Ops in RF engineering last August. Since then, all bet have been off. 8 months later, I'm starting to get my head above water and my goals have really begun to change focus to a more DevOps direction. I'm loving what I do, though.

Goals like the Sec+/VCP are heavily MS slanted and I haven't touched a Windows box in more than a year (sans managed work laptop). My work (and interests) are much more Opensource/Posix related these days. So, now that I have some free bandwidth I am refocusing my goals and plans.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    ShamPOWShamPOW Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great so far. I've accepted a position with our enterprise security group (managed firewall services, MPLS VPN's, fun stuff), and I'm well on my way towards CCNA Security around mid-year. Will probably have to pick up a FNCSA by years end now, too.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Collect all VCP - Done
    Collect all VCAP - Almost done
    Become VCDX - Started to work on it
    Make ~$150k/year - Should find out in few months
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    gabyprgabypr Member Posts: 136 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Im doing fine with my masters, and im planning to take 70-410 next month. My goal is to have at least MCSA 2012 this year.

My new goal this year is to find another job, maybe manager or director in another company. I already started to send resumes. Lets see how it goes.
    EC-Council Master in Security Science M.S.S [Done]

Reading Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification Exam prep by Sohel Akhter
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Down 30 pounds, 20 more to go by June 1st to reach my goal. I'm right on track though it's going to get tougher.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Should be knocking off the CCNA soon. With any luck, I hope to knock off some more certifications as well this year. My personal health goals seem to be doing good and should get better as the weather improves.
  • Options
    xocityxocity Member Posts: 230
    WGU going good, knocked out 3 courses in 3.5 weeks. With mentors approval, ill be starting CCNA classes next month so I can get it out of the way before new CCNA comes out. With the start of a new good job and WGU going better then expected, I cant complain.
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Retaking my Windows 7 exam on April 19, and will start labbing for AD exam as soon as that is finished.
  • Options
    fivedollarcouchfivedollarcouch Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    decided to make 2013 my year of accomplishments.
    planned to embark on a cisco certification path: ccent/ccna, jncia-junos, while starting WGU enrollment.

i finished my CCENT and got a new job last month and right off the bat they are sending me to vmware training (we lost our VCP and need one for our TAP elite...)

so on Monday I have vmware training for a week, then planning on being VCP5-DV by the end of April. Starting WGU on May 1st.

After that I'll probably finish out my CCNA then switch gears out of networking and focus on MCSA:Server2k8. Haven't decided to go for VCAP next or something with Sharepoint. No more networking specialization. The more I can learn, the better for this job and for the future as well
    2013 goals (old)
    CCENT (passed) | CCNA | JNCIA-Junos | CCNA:Security | WGU Enrollment

2013 goals (new job means new focus)
    CCENT (passed) | VCP5-DV (class 1st week of april, cert by end of april) | WGU Enrollment | CCNA | MCSA:Server2k8
  • Options
    Passed the CEH and on my way to the CCNP which should take a few more months. Tomorrow I'm taking the CFHI.
    damn how do you find time for everything? i guess i should only sleep for 6 hrs and spend the rest learning when im not working
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, if you're working with a lot of the technologies, you really don't need to study as much IMO. For example, I didn't study nearly as much as others may have for the CCNA DC exams since I've been working with it for 8 hours a day for a year.

I've been wanting to also network more paul. I've sent a couple of proposals in to speak at various conferences later this year, so we'll see what sticks.

Additionally, the CCIE lab is my biggest goal for this year, and I've got a date that I haven't moved yet, so if nothing major happens I'll get a crack at fufilling that goal.
  • Options
    I need a network role - tired of password resets, fml
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    I'm down to my last two classes at WGU (Tech Writing and Capstone); I hope to be done in a few weeks (5-6 weeks before my term ends). The rest of my big goals for this year I won't even start on until mid-April (getting a job out of state and moving before the next school year starts for my kids)so we will see how it works out between now and July.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Things are up and down.
    Up: I'm graduating next month and I have to redo my CCENT.
    Down: I suck at foreign languages.

I plan on getting the C|EH and SSCP done this year. Maybe I'll get the TKRI A2 done but I don't know.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Behind schedule right now but focus has been regained. ICND1 re-attempt in about 2 weeks and then hopefully ICND2 within a month after that.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I made a major step by accepting a new position last week.

I have two weeks left to renew my CCNA by passing SWITCH so we will see how that goes.

I will be moving to a new place after seven years by late summer/early autumn to top things off.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I still haven't got my CCNP icon_sad.gif, but I am waiting on the install of a new secondary link to site and that will mean implementing duel homes BGP, so I am hopping that will kick of my studies again, seeing as it falls to me to set it all up.

Along side that I have just received the 2 6500's I ordered kitted out with wireless modules, which gives me about 8 months to play deploying a small scale instillation (30-40 AP's) before the numbers ingress to around 300ish.

Nothing like hands on for learning :)

unexpectley my CCNP studies have been pushed aside to learn about project management, and I have found myself involved as the IT and network lead for the site redevelopment. Can't complain though as its a great opportunity and wont hurt if I ever want to move up in management.

Really the whole of the last year has forked away from what I was planning, but in a good way. some areas have taken me back to the basics and refreshed some forgotten skills. and introduced a whole lot of new ones to. I was thinking about this the other day and while my short term goals seem to have gone astray slightly, the long term goals I had when I stated out in IT now feel like they are on the horizon rather then the other side of the world.

Out side of work the main goal I had was to get fit again after being ill much of last year, still working on this, but as the weather is getting better, had the bike out for the first time and cycled a few miles, even this was a struggle, but this is to be expected and I know it will be a long time before I am back (if i ever can be) to my former fitness levels. MY main aim it to be able to complete the London to Brighton bike race (65miles), it might not seem like much, but after last year would be a huge achievement.

I hope every ones else's year is going as well as mine :)

Devil
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm a little behind on my plans, but I'm going to sit down and do two things over the weekend: bang out a LOT of studying towards my up and coming MCSA exam(s), and then plan out a better work/study/gym plan for the weeks to come so that I can get myself out of this rut.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    biggene wrote: »
    Retaking my Windows 7 exam on April 19, and will start labbing for AD exam as soon as that is finished.

Pretty much this. I have Network+ slated afterwards.. but it really doesn't sound entertaining in the least.
  • Options
    Looks like some of you guys have some pretty ambitious goals - very impressive. Good luck with the rest of the year - especially to the procrastinators - icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed C|EH so that's down (goes to look at list because I forgot what I wrote icon_lol.gif)
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i dont remember if I made a 2013 list since I bombed my 2012 list...

so for the most part I'm just looking to make more money and finish up my degree... and get a job that I can stay in for several years, but that goes along with the money part
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    paul78 wrote: »
    Looks like some of you guys have some pretty ambitious goals - very impressive. Good luck with the rest of the year - especially to the procrastinators - icon_wink.gif

I think goals should be ambitious. If they're not, then what's the point?
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Goals need to be so big that you can still see them if stand in front an obstacle :)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    dave330i wrote: »
    I think goals should be ambitious. If they're not, then what's the point?
    That's an interesting perspective. I have just the opposite view. I feel that goals should be attainable and with a specific time-horizon, otherwise it becomes a de-motivating factor and the goal falls more into the area of fantasy.

But certainly I would agree that there is nothing wrong with having stretch goals along with annual shorter-term goals.
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My goals were CCNET, CCNA, CCNP R&S, CCNA-sec.
    I know that it's huge, but I would definitely try to accomplish all of these.

Now, CCNET down, CCNA is about to go down in next 2 days.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2 courses away from getting my MBA. This starts up next month April 1st. I have covered a lot of the pre reading before the courses start. Other than that it's just continious learning on the other skills.