Options

How's everyone's 2013 goals and resolutions coming along?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    paul78 wrote: »
    That's an interesting perspective. I have just the opposite view. I feel that goals should be attainable and with a specific time-horizon, otherwise it becomes a de-motivating factor and the goal falls more into the area of fantasy.

But certainly I would agree that there is nothing wrong with having stretch goals along with annual shorter-term goals.

By setting ambitious goals for the year, even if I don't meet all my goals I would have accomplished a lot.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm on track with my 2013 goals. I have one test to go for the MCSE: Private Cloud cert and sit the VCAP on Thursday next week. I'll start on the VCP-Cloud and VCAP5-DCD right after.

I too set myself some lofty goals, that way I push myself harder and end up achieving more.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I feel like everything in my life has changed over the past few months, including a few of my goals. With that said I'm in the process of meeting a few of my major ones!

Lost 35lbs down to a healthy weight - DONE
    Buy first house - In closing process currently
    Change jobs and break $75k salary mark - Offer accepted, starting soon!

I think for the rest of the year I'm going to just focus on stabilizing what I have and taking some time to enjoy the finer things. Something I've never really done.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As my old head use to say at school.

If you aim for an A and if you don't quite reach it you still might get a B. But aim for a C and if you miss your only get a D.

So decided what you want to achieve and then set the bar a few inches higher.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Studying hard for CCNP Route I hope to take it in about 3-4 months.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My 2013 goals have changed since December, when I came up with the list. Since then, I have accepted a network security gig.

2013:
    * Finish Bachelors (May/June)
    * CCNA security
    * CCNP: FIREWALL and VPN, I dont know if I will do the other two exams.
    * JNCIA and JNCIS-SEC
    * Working on eCPPT and OSCP
    * Start Masters
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Change jobs and break $75k salary mark - Offer accepted, starting soon!

congrats!

I like to set salary goals for myself too... currently I'm halfway through a 5 year goal I set, and if one of current opportunities pans out, I should be close by the end of the 5 year run
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm on track so far planning to take my CCENT exam early next month then within 1-2 months finishing it off for my CCNA. After that lots of traveling to Boston, Seattle, and Vegas!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As I start to read all the new threads about 2014 goals and aspirations, I had to evaluate my own aspirations for 2013. I hope that everyone are getting to where they wanted to be this year - both career-wise and personally.

I was particularly inspired by an earlier thread this year on TE about IT professionals and their health choices as well as @Akaricloud's personal goal of getting to a healthy weight that I decided to focus on a similar goal. For me, it's more of a 2-3 year goal and I'm making great progress.

Career-wise - I did get more out of increasing my privacy knowledge. And some of my networking focus is starting to pay off.

Onwards and upwards!