Is the old CCNA cert a dead end?

Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
I am working toward a CCNA with the plan of going for the voice cert. after. By the new standards it seems as if the old CCNA will no longer be a valid pre requsite for the Voice, Only CCENT or the new routing and switching cert. Am I wrong on this? The only reason I was interested in continuing the old route is that After putting the books down for a year and a half I have picked them up again. The study materials I have are a little less than 2 years old. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Working for CCNA? Take 2 exam route. ICND1 & ICND2. Thus you will have CCNET which is now pre-req for most of the tracks.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you do the CCNA, CCENT is part of what you learn for it so no, it's not wasted. But if you really don't want to learn R&S, just do the ICND1 exam which gives you the CCENT and you're done.
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    CCNA is no longer a required prerequisite for Voice; however, it is still a valid prerequisite for it, so if you're most of the way through studying for the composite, I would highly suggest you continue on that route if you believe you can finish before the 30th of September.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    > Any valid Cisco CCENT, CCNA Routing and Switching or any Cisco CCIE certification can act as a prerequisite.

Whether you take the old exams or the new exams, you will still have a "CCNA Routing & Switching". I last renewed my CCNA in 2012, and that's exactly how it appears in my Cisco CCO History. So yes, the "old" CCNA is still a good pre-requisite. :)

If I were in your boots, I'd consider passing the old CCNA exams or the new CCENT exams before proceeding to voice. While it's possible to take only the old CCENT exam and then proceed into voice, that's not the spirit of the law, and will leave you less prepared for R&S questions/issues than others at your level. An exception would be if you're already strong at R&S.
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA is such an easy exam full of basic stuff but mandatory to know it.

Why you want to take the easiest route a not learn more to become a better network support technician?
  • Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Thanks for all the responses. My concern was not to avoid the CCNA exam, I was worried that if I pass it under the old system that it would not be a suitable pre requisite for the other exams because of the switch to CCNA Routing and switching. I am pretty far along the ICND 1 book and did not want to throw it out and start with a new book unless that is my only chioce. It seems as if I can continue along my path and as long as I meet the deadlines I can get what I need. I think I will take the 2 exam route though.
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    You're in the same situation as me. Good luck in finishing both exams by the deadline. I know I will only be able to completely ICND1 by Sept. 30 because of time restraints.
  • chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As far as complete it before the deadline you are OK.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    chmod wrote: »
    CCNA is such an easy exam full of basic stuff

I wouldn't cal the CCNA "easy"

maybe in comparison to the CCNP or CCIE, but by no means is it an easy undertaking
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    Russell77 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses. My concern was not to avoid the CCNA exam, I was worried that if I pass it under the old system that it would not be a suitable pre requisite for the other exams because of the switch to CCNA Routing and switching. I am pretty far along the ICND 1 book and did not want to throw it out and start with a new book unless that is my only chioce. It seems as if I can continue along my path and as long as I meet the deadlines I can get what I need. I think I will take the 2 exam route though.

CCNET has become pre-req for most of the tracks. That's why, you need to pass ICND1 (640-822) to get CCNET, which solves the pre-req problem. Then ass ICND2 (640-816) to get CCNA R&S. But you need to pass both before the end of Sept, 2013. ;)
    chmod wrote: »
    CCNA is such an easy exam full of basic stuff but mandatory to know it.

Foe existing CCNA your comment is 100% true. But same can't be said for the new CCNA route. Many current CCNP materials are there.