Options

Getting the MBA

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I've been doing some reading and general research. That research has drawn me to looking at perhaps doing an MBA, but I do have some concerns. First, would it require that I move to management? I'm not saying that isn't something I want to do down the line, but I'd like to remain in the trenches for awhile longer. Second, would having it get me passed over for technical positions? Finally, would it be a good route to becoming a business analyst?
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That is completely up to you, the MBA requires a lot of dedication and money so if you don't want to get into management why would waste your time and money on an MBA?

If you think becoming a BA is your dream and you think that is the right path for you go ahead get the MBA.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    What are you reasons for wanting to get a MBA, that will better help us give advice. The one thing I can for sure tell you is that MBA's have a shelf life. They may not expire as a cert, but if you don't get a "MBA" job in 5 years of having it, its like you never had it unless you move into a mangement position at your current employer.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    shodown wrote: »
    What are you reasons for wanting to get a MBA, that will better help us give advice. The one thing I can for sure tell you is that MBA's have a shelf life. They may not expire as a cert, but if you don't get a "MBA" job in 5 years of having it, its like you never had it unless you move into a mangement position at your current employer.

Not to mention WHERE you get an MBA matters.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agreed with Poly. If possible get your MBA from a top ~10 program.

Then you have everything else. Honestly 30 - 175 there is no difference. At this point you are leveraging the location so you will have the benefit of connections regionally and that's about it. It's prestige or affordability. Someone who drops six figures on a MBA from the 41st rank business school is foolish IMO.

Really you are either in or out and most MBA's are out including mine. But on the bright side if you do your research you can find a affordable MBA that are recognized by fortune 500 companies. Just do a little research.

And remember experience is king. It trumps all :)

@ the original poster

You don't need a MBA to become a business analyst. That would be an overkill, you would get an MBA if you want to become a director level or higher IMO. I know BA's with no degrees and no certifications. They know how to capture requirements, build business cases and leverage use cases.
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    N2IT wrote: »
    Agreed with Poly. If possible get your MBA from a top ~10 program.

Its my plan after my second Master's being from the Boston area. Massive variable for me; they're unbelievably competitive, but I'm really not sure I'd go for an MBA if it wasn't from the top.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I guess it's because I'm interested in the operations side of things and after reading The Phoenix Project I see the benefit of having an MBA. All that being said, didn't realize they have a shelf life and I honestly don't believe I'm aiming for an management spot in the next five years. Also, yup won't be going to a top 10 school that's for sure. Thanks for all the info guys!!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    HushLivesHushLives Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was always told if you don't know what you want to do, get a MBA. It's an all purpose degree, but I definitely agree with the sentiments of previous posters. Where you get it from matters. But the guys I know who have MBAs are more managerial types rather than technical types, where they ensure that a team is working together, projects are being completed and looking ahead for new projects and how to tackle those. In my mind, if you were looking for a more prominent role as a manager, executive, team leader, something along those lines, a MBA would be a good choice for you.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since I'm planning on a MBA, why would it matter where I got it from? I understand schools like Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, etc but as long as the school is accredited, why would it matter that much?

I know a lot of managers who got their MBA from UCF and I don't believe they are in the top 50...just did a quick search
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can only speak for myself, but what we are talking about is the ideal situation which is a ~ 10 MBA program. IF IF IF you graduated from a program of that stature you would have a lot of inroads into the premier companies, no questions about it.

Then you have everything else, and honestly as long as the place of employment you are applying for accepts it you should be in good shape. So Central Florida is probably a fine program, but it's not a top 10 program either. At this point I would look for cost. Because between 30 - 175 there is very little difference other than regionally. (There are always exceptions, but.......)
  • Options
    HushLivesHushLives Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have found that if you plan on staying within your region i.e. you live in FL and are going to go to UCF, you shouldn't have an issue. In fact you would probably do better because there are a greater amount of people who went to UCF in FL than outside of the state (hypothetically speaking), so therefore you could have better connections/opportunities. I noticed the same for Marymount or William & Mary here in VA and NC Central in NC. At the end of the day a Masters is still a Masters meaning that you would qualify for positions that those with bachelors wouldn't, your pay would inherently be higher. For me though, it is the argument of Grad school vs Certifications. I could spend a couple of grand on a Masters degree or I could take that money and put it towards some certifications. I know people who are from both camps, Associates or a Bachelors with a bunch of certs or a Masters with one or two certs. I have also noticed that graduate students (at least in this field) are going back to school because either their bachelors was in a very specific subject and now they want to generalize or their bachelors was in a very broad subject and now they want to specialize. I am in the latter, although I wish I was in the former.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    MBA (or any other form of education): do it if you can afford it. Before doing it, ask yourself where you want to be and see if that education will help you get to that position.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    ahardinjrahardinjr Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In regards to attending an MBA program, it really depends on what you want to get out of the program. Secondly, as to where you should go - it really depends on what you have time for, can afford and can realistically get into.

I agree with other people, if you go to a Tier 1, top 10 school with international recognition, you will get a lot out of it. Past that, the name recognition disappears and you really need to find the "best fit" program for you. If you can score in the 95+ percentile on the GMAT, have a pristine undergraduate GPA, and have deep pockets with high aspirations then by all means attend a top 10 school. Now if that is not the case, then look for a good regional school with good reviews at an affordable cost with preferably AACSB accreditation.

Another item of concern is do you want a general MBA or an MBA with a specific concentration. Programs vary widely in their curriculum and concentrations. So I'd recommend you browse around to see what schools around you offer.

I attended a AACSB-accredited MBA program, which is a small regional state school and what I found to be very beneficial in my program was the networking aspect with the local business community, my graduate student cohort, and the school's faculty members. If you know people who went to UCF and are successful, as well as are people who can recommend you for future positions then consider that school.

Oh and one last thing you should ask yourself. Are you really interested in learning the subject matter taught in an MBA program (accounting, finance, supply chain management, marketing, organizational management, global business, etc)? If not, then you may not want to pursue an MBA as you will dislike the classes. If you are interested, then you will definitely enjoy the classes and the business opportunities that open up for you with the program.
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt