Options

How far into a project/contract is it kosher to apply for a new job

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am currently on a 3 month project 6 weeks into the project. I was thinking 2 more weeks and I will start applying. I have never worked such a short project by design, although I must admit it has been fairly nice.

There is a chance that I could be brought on fulltime, I am unsure at this point. My contracting agency said they would start asking on the completion of month 2.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah a month out is about okay. Thing with a short contract like this one is you are already thinking about the next one before even starting it. Depending on the job market, I might even start applying a month and a half out.

Would you accept the full-time offer Pat?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    I would take the full time offer, however there are no guarntees and right now there are quite a few data analyst positions opened up in my area.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    On a three month contract I'd be looking the first day. I've had jobs take upwards of two months to work through the hiring process and get a start date.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I appreciate information networker. I have begun the search, however with one select company and 3 specific positions all aligned with what I do which I realllllly like.

I'm in week 6 right now and you know 7 and 8 are right around the corner. Like I mentioned before I like this job so I don't want to walk away from it before the 3 months I agreed too.
  • Options
    NutsyNutsy Member Posts: 136
    N2IT,

I would go ahead and get a job lined up. First, the company you are working for is only looking out for their best interest. Second, saying that you have something lined up helps put pressure on your company to make a decision. Bottom line, no one is going to take care of you like yourself. Brass tax: only show as much loyalty as the employer shows you. They haven't guaranteed you anything. You shouldn't wait for them to either.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Nutsy wrote: »
    N2IT,

I would go ahead and get a job lined up. First, the company you are working for is only looking out for their best interest. Second, saying that you have something lined up helps put pressure on your company to make a decision. Bottom line, no one is going to take care of you like yourself. Brass tax: only show as much loyalty as the employer shows you. They haven't guaranteed you anything. You shouldn't wait for them to either.

I feel the exact same way.
  • Options
    I really do appreciate the input. Thanks again, there is something to be said about reassurance.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    3 months contract or 30 yrs contract ==> Start looking in the first day. This is a hard lesson that I learned, businesses are run by psychopaths, so always look for your best interest. If you find a full time job while you are in the 3 months contract, jump into the full time job if you can. If they wanted you they would've given you full time employment instead of 3 months, IMHO.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should be looking already. Opportunities open up and close quickly... by waiting two weeks, you may miss out on a great one.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Week 7 complete, 8 is almost here :)

Thanks again for the great advice.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    3 months contract or 30 yrs contract ==> Start looking in the first day. This is a hard lesson that I learned, businesses are run by psychopaths, so always look for your best interest. If you find a full time job while you are in the 3 months contract, jump into the full time job if you can. If they wanted you they would've given you full time employment instead of 3 months, IMHO.

I agree with this statement. Always have a plan B, do a lot of relationship building with recruiters and keep your linkedin / resume updated.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    businesses are run by psychopaths,.

this made me legit laugh out loud....

it's funny because it's true
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark