Options

Job offer...dont know what to do...

EverythingPCownerEverythingPCowner Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok..at random... i get a call asking me if i would like a job as the "interum IT director" for a hospital. $1100 per week. Travel covered and I will be booked in a hotel. The period is for 90 days....with the possibility for full time afterwards. The way i was explained...it is basically lan admin/ helpdesk like im doin now. 120 computers...2 domain controllers...an exchange server... typical stuff for this size i suppose..i didnt go too too far into details yet. I will answer to the CSO of the hospital (only when i need something such as to buy something new...etc) The thing is i have to decide in the next 2 days...and i have to leaves a week from monday if i choose to go. The problem there is....i have a job at a fortune 500 now...i get paid peanuts...but its constant, part time, and its earning me great exp. (been there like 3 years off and on with internships and such). I will only be able to give a weeks notice. I only have my a+, net+, and sec+ so to me this seems like a great apportunity, how does it sound? (8-5 mon-fri...on call for emergencies). Erm...im 20.. and i live in TN, im being asked to move to AL.

What i need advice with:

Questions to ask before deciding?...benefits?...bonuses?..travel?...stuff that needs to be worked out beforehand (if i dont ask i may not get it)

More pay?...just agree with him?...what is acceptable?......1100 a week plus housing (in BFE alabama) 90days-Perm possibly, 8-5 mon-friday

I feel technically capable of the job for sure....but i have never had to negotiate before and i dont know what to ask for/mention so any advice would be appriciated.

Also.. i was given the apportunity based on connections and friendships made along the way.....so meet everyone..shake every hand...kiss every bosses/ IT friends butt... (just my thought)

Thanks in advance,
Aaron
Alabama or Bust!

Comments

• Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    90days-Perm possibly

I would be careful about relocating due to that one stipulation, especially if you are happy with your current job.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Everything revolves around money right? So, explain to your current employer the pickle you are in. Maybe they will offer you a raise comparable to the 57k they are offering in Al.

What do you make now?
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i would say get money and terms in writing, make sure that your cool with it, and run with it... gaining experience in the IT is a crap shoot.. sometimes you get to see the roll in advance to know the maybe outcomes.... i took a job as a Jr. Admin for a company and ended being the IT director in a year and a half... trust me experience is all in the chance take it.. play safe stack your money on the gig and keep an open door with possible opportunites if this one dries up icon_wink.gif which i seriously doubt its a hospital
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 90 days, are these work days or just the time period? If these are including weekends the cash offered is about 15k.Forget about the maybe permanent as this statement is always thrown in if you dont expect it you wont be disappointed.
    So the question you have to ask yourself is are u confident in your technical ability to get another job after the 90 day period.
    Are this company going to take care of your tax? Will u be paid weekly,monthly or after the 90 days? Taking this contract is not as straight forward as you may think,ive been doing this for the last 5 years working 3 or 6 month contracts, you get a alot of cash but its very draining.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    ciscogeraldciscogerald Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I say go for it. It's a hospital, you'll most likely get the offer at the end of the contract. A lot of companies here in Ontario Canada will start you with a contract then offer full time perm, it's their way of doing probation without having to give benefits. With this on your resume you wouldn't have a problem getting another job if it doesn't pan out.
  • Options
    Lets just say ill make my years earnings at my current job in the 90 days im there....(Im working for exp. now) I called the guy back and told him that i thought about it and i WAS intrested in the job. He told me he would get the particulars over to me today for me to sign. He said the contract will basically ensure i get 90 days of work at least for a rate of 1100 a week. Also included is...travel expense and reembersement for hotel/appt. I have decided to take the job offer but im not goin to mention it to my current employer until i get it in writing. i dont think relocating for 3 months will be a big deal....im goin to plan on leaving after 3 months unless i really like it....(just so i dont get too full of myself). They are looking for a full time hire...they needed me because im young and i can go NOW. They said they are goin to pay for me to live in a hotel and or appt. If i live in a hotel...i dont even have to clean my room...hell i dont even have to move really i guess. I think i spent too much time worrying about the pay and if it was right or not...i almost forgot how incredible an offer that was considering i was just eating ramen noodles when i got the call.
    Alabama or Bust!
  • Options
    considering i was just eating ramen noodles when i got the call

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Heh, its so true.... I think the reason i was so unsure is because i wasnt looking for a job at the time.
    Alabama or Bust!
  • Options
    Wow....i signed the paperwork today. Im now the IT director/LAN Admin for a hostpital in AL. House rented for me and 1,100 a week. Thanks all :)
    Alabama or Bust!
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    your welcome, but i will say this learn this job back and forward.. aspire to be the best at it icon_cool.gif then those 90 days will be a crash course in the management/engineering arena
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    mikey_bmikey_b Member Posts: 188
    No kidding, with a job title like IT Director, you're set.

1 - Work your ass off
    2 - Make it full time
    3 - Lots of certs!
    4 - PMP certification
    5 - Profit!

bowing.gif

With 10 years in, you'll only be 30 and ready for almost anything.
    Mikey B.

Current: A+, N+, CST, CNST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: MCSE 2003
  • Options
    Congratulations and best of luck to you. When you start your new job and find out that you need some quick answers, feel free to post here and we'll be glad to help you.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Erm...im 20.. and i live in TN,
    Wow....i signed the paperwork today. Im now the IT director/LAN Admin for a hostpital in AL. House rented for me and 1,100 a week. Thanks all icon_smile.gif

Ill be drinking tonight icon_lol.gif

Congratulations are due.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p