Options

reaching all users when messaging is restricted

ZumpelZumpel Member Posts: 53 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All ,

this was thrown onto my desk. (Sound familiar icon_smile.gif)
would appreciate your input on the following:

Inside a company network. I need to be able to have a notification
pop up on all users screens at the same time.
Problem is, that pretty much everything along the lines of
messaging services have been switched off to prevent mis-use.
We use MS messenger on a SIP basis, but I can't see any
broadcasting feature in that one.

Would appreciate your thoughts on this
cheers
*- Zumpel -*

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Usually Windows messenging does that in a MS environment. It can be a pain to configure correctly, but when set up does the job. I can't remember the netsend commands though - haven't used them in years.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    evanderburgevanderburg Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Service Pack 2 takes some of the messaging elements out. It can be removed but it must be removed from each machine that will use windows messaging to communicate. You should be able to make the change in group policy if you decide to use it.
    "You can never know everything and part of what you know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies in going on anyway. " - Lan, Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Like RussS said..I usually use Windows Messenger to send a message out to all Windows computers.

{name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

net send * "Everyone log off and go home. -Mgmt"

that would send the message to the whole domain.

Not sure if that is what you are looking for....
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    paige1paige1 Member Posts: 117

:D
    Self-confidence is the first requisite to great undertakings.

Samuel Johnson
  • Options
    ZumpelZumpel Member Posts: 53 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks guys ! i think i'll leave that project for a quite minute.. (... code for "dang, that'll take too much time at the moment, I'll wait for the holiday season... icon_lol.gif )
  • Options
    gullivergulliver Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    now, u will have to know all the computer names on the networ.

on the desktop, R.C
    the My Computer icon and go to manage.

click on the compter management (local) and select all tasks from the menu tht appears. then select send console message Type your messageand add the destination machines u wld like to receive the message. after select SEND. ope that is wat u wat, buzz if it works for you
    :D [/u]
  • Options
    darkmagicdarkmagic Member Posts: 127
    Service Pack 2 takes some of the messaging elements out. It can be removed but it must be removed from each machine that will use windows messaging to communicate. You should be able to make the change in group policy if you decide to use it.

I don't think i would be able to do that if i am restricted to even message everyone.
    gulliver wrote:
    now, u will have to know all the computer names on the networ.

on the desktop, R.C
    the My Computer icon and go to manage.

click on the compter management (local) and select all tasks from the menu tht appears. then select send console message Type your messageand add the destination machines u wld like to receive the message. after select SEND. ope that is wat u wat, buzz if it works for you
    :D [/u]

When i right click on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop & click "Manage", this is what comes up icon_sad.gif

"The snapin below, refrenced in this document has been restricted by policy. Contact you adminstrator for details. Computer Management."
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    Like RussS said..I usually use Windows Messenger to send a message out to all Windows computers.

{name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message

that would send the message to the whole domain.

Well, and the command prompt is not there run is not there under start :D
    Plantwiz wrote:

This is the only option that i think can work if i run it as a java script or vb script.

And also i am not really comfortable with Java icon_redface.gif

so, basically, i guess i am screwed icon_lol.gif
    321hahaha.jpg