Options

When is scavenging performed automatically?

I always thought that when you set aging, you can also set stale records to be scavenged by ticking the "Scavenge stale resource records" check box. But according to the MsPress book on the 642 exam, to enable automatic scavenging, you have to go into the Server properties -> Advanced tab, and then tick off the "Enable automatic scavenging of stale resource records" check box.

To be honest, I always thought, both did the same thing?
Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)

Comments

• Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Scavenging has to be enabled BOTH at the server level and the zone level. Setting scavenging in one will not be sufficient enough, both have to be configured.

[h=2]Prerequisites for aging/scavenging[/h]Before the aging and scavenging features of DNS can be used, several conditions must be met:
    • Scavenging and aging must be enabled both at the DNS server and on the zone.

By default, aging and scavenging of resource records is disabled.
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    Well, thats not quite what I asked, but thats interesting as well. :)

Initially in the Ms Press book, they too claim that you need to enable Aging/Scavenging at both server and zone level, but then in the errata they change it, and say that you can either enable it at the server level or the zone level.

Self-Paced Training Kit Exam 70-642: Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Network Infrastructure Confirmed Errata | O'Reilly Media

117436g.png

But, in the CBT Nuggets video for this issue, Mr James Conrad says that you have to enable it at the server and zone level, for it to work.

So, which one is correct?
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Well i just looked at our production environment and we only have it enabled at the zone level and NOT the server level.

For the exam - go off what MS has published which is enable it at the server and zone level. If you are just looking for what will technically work i believe just enabling at the zone level OR server level works.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From technet: Enable Aging and Scavenging for DNS

To enable the aging and scavenging features, you perform the following steps to configure the applicable server and any of its zones that are integrated with Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS):

• Enable aging and scavenging for the DNS server.

These settings determine the effect of zone-level properties for any zones that are integrated with AD DS and loaded at the server.
    • Enable aging and scavenging for specified zones on the DNS server.

When you set zone-level properties for a specified zone, these settings apply only to that zone and its resource records. Unless you otherwise configure these zone-level properties, they inherit their default settings from comparable settings that AD DS maintains in the aging and scavenging properties for the DNS server.

So set it on the server and all AD DS int zones will be set the same, Set it on a zone if you want it to differ from this global setting, or if the zone is not AD DS integrated.