Options

Security+ or Project+ That is the question...

RobbLawsonRobbLawson Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I'm Robb and I'm new here. I've been working in the IT industry since 1996 in several roles: Consultant, Engineer, Administrator and Desktop Support. I've got a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology and several certifications including CCNA, CCENT, Network+ and A+. I've got an opportunity to gain an additional certification and am looking for some direction. I'm currently between jobs (read unemployed) and really do like hands on type of work. Which certification do you think would be most useful to me; Security+ or Project+. I've seen a lot of Project Management jobs out there but most want PMP certification. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of Security jobs out there as well but wonder if Security+ os worth the effort. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Robb

Comments

• Options
    thegoodbyethegoodbye Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Security+ will be more highly sought after.
  • Options
    RobbLawsonRobbLawson Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your input. I've been leaning that way but am looking for opinions.
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm currently studying for Sec+ and alot of the information seems super interesting to me. Though it isnt as hands on as a CCNA, it does hold its weight.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Security+ is the easy pick. Project+ has basically no market value. If you are looking for a broad intro to project management practices, it's okay.

Security+ is still a fairly broad intro to high-level security, but it can definitely be valuable both for hands-on and more high-level work.

Ultimately, you need to think about where you want to go at this point. If you're just looking to get work doing anything hands-on, I would say a vendor certification, ie MCSA, CCNP, etc. would be a better pick. With your existing certifications, experience, and degree, I don't think Sec+ adds much unless you're looking to break into security.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Robb it depends on what you LIKE to do. I wouldn't recommend going for PM work just because there are position out there.

If you have some free time on your hands and you like networking I think the CCNP would be a nice professional certification to help capture your knowledge. System certifications could be your friend as well. The new MCSE track has a lot of options, that maybe something you want to look into. Of course you have the Unix/Linux certifications out there. Oracle has a lot of interesting Linux/Networking certifications.

MCSE

CCNP

Oracle OS
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not both? icon_cheers.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Sledge.Sledge. Member Posts: 109
    webgeek wrote: »
    Why not both? icon_cheers.gif

That would be my question as well. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Sledge.
    WGU Alum - BS:IT Security
    Active Certs: CCNA:Security, CompTia x 3 (Security+, Project+, A+), MCTS (70-680), CCENT, CCNA: Routing & Switching, CIW x 3 (Javascript, Database, Web Design)