Cisco equipments worth the asking price?

zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
It has been a long while since I last started on my journey for some IT certifications.
Fast forward to my current situation, I have been laid off my last job for the last 2 years as a tech support engineer, provided support for nationwide healthcare hospitals on Windows servers, IIS, switches, and workstations. I have just finished my bachelor degree in CIS Database Management but would like to my career in Networking by taking up the CCNA track.
There is an ad posted out there in my area for the following equipments that the guy had used to pursue his certs for the CCNA Voice. He is offering it at $800 for all of them. I don't know if I should purchase the Voice equipment as I might not want to head that way for my career. I might think of taking pursuing the CCNP after the CCNA.
With the CCNA track being changed soon, Which of these devices (and how many needed) what would you think I should purchase for now? Which devices in your opinion will be phased out of the new certification? How much should I ask for each devices? Would someone please evaluate if this is a good deal to purchase or should I use the simulation software instead to save money?
Any advices are much appreciated. Thank you.

Lab kit Includes:

Routing & Switching
1 x Cisco 2514
1 x Cisco 2610XM 128/32 12.4 Router
1 x Cisco 2611XM Dual FastEthernet 128/32 12.4 Router
1 x Cisco Catalyst 2900XL
1 x Cisco Catalyst 2950
1 x Cisco Catalyst 3550 (supports Layer 3)
1 x NM-4A/S Serial Module
1 x WIC-1T Serial Module
2 x DTE/DCE back to back cables
1 x Console cable kit

Voice Equipment
1 x Cisco VG200 (Voice Gateway)
2 x Cisco 7940 Phones w/PowerCube
1 x NM-2V (NM-2V)
1 x VIC-2FXO (VIC-2FXO)
1 x VIC-2FXS (VIC-2FXS)

Extras
1 x 12u Rack to hold all the equipment (except phones)
9 x Power Cables for everything above
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki

Comments

• TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    I can't comment on the voice stuff but no way if it's anything like the rest of the stuff. CCNA just got a refresh and while the two 2600 routers can run the 12.4 IOS for the current CCNA you'll expected to have some experience of IOS 15 (1841s can do this if high enough spec). Everything else (bar the 3550 and 2950) is REALLY old tech, It's not worth much. For CCNA the ideal lab got cost and function is probably:
    • 1 x 3550 L3 switch
    • 2 x 2950 L2 switch
    • 2 x 2600XM routers with some serial cards
    • 1 x 1841 router (with IOS15)
    • 1 x 12U rack of any kind
    • Power, serial and network cables (better yet a box of cat5e and some tools).
    And you should be able to get all that for less than $400. As for the voice stuff, It's a useful skill to have in bigger companies and general IT support roles. I think CCNA mentions voice vlans but thats about it.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    You don't NEED to have IOS 15 routers and switches. This was addressed in the other CCNA threads. Everything 15 does, 12.4 does. The only difference is licensing. No need to throw tons of money away just to get the latest IOS

Your R&S lab looks excellent. For the CCNA/CCENT, you could actually bypass the lab and go GNS3 or packet tracer. For the CCNP, if you plan on getting it, could be easily done with the lab you are looking to buy
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • zenboyzenboy Member Posts: 196
    Thanks for the suggestion, everyone. I should dive deep into the studying and see whether GNS3 or packet tracer would be enough to study for now and decide later if I need to set up a real lab.
    As for the IOS, I had read quite a number of previous threads but might have missed the ones which had discussion regarding the 15 vs 12.4 versions. Let me run through the threads again. Thanks again for the advices.
    "In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few" - S.Suzuki
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Jeremy Cioara even insists in this video about the new CCNA lab that the old labs are just fine: New CCNA exams, chat with Jeremy Cioara - YouTube
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
    Thanks for the validation, Iristheangel. I will keep this in mind when I decide to set up the real lab.
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It also helps to check the Cisco learning network forums every now and then, Keith Barker said the same thing as well.
    Use your existing gear. Virtually all the commands will be the same as 15.x. One slight difference is that there will be L routes in the IPv4 routing table shown in IOS 15.x, while 12.4 won't show those same L routes (but it isn't a bit deal).

HSRP and GLBP are new, with a bigger emphasis on IPv6, and all of that can still be done on 12.4 with the right feature set.

You may want to familiarize yourself with how IOS 15.x is licensed differently (compared to 12.x), but that would be more book learning than hands on practice.

Hope that helps,

Keith

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/54584?tstart=0

[h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    thanks for the link JustFred. Save me time of searching the forum. icon_smile.gif
  • alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    use gsn3 for the routers (up the ram in your pc if needed) and look at getting a few switches
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
    I've heard that GNS3 isn't good with switches. Could I use packet tracer for switches along with GNS3 for router?
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    zenboy wrote: »
    I've heard that GNS3 isn't good with switches. Could I use packet tracer for switches along with GNS3 for router?

No, you can't "link" the two at all. Get physical switches or just use PT
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.