Options

Passed CISSP

datschmodatschmo Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Passed on my second attempt today!

Firstly, I want to thank TE, the TE community who posted their experiences, reviews and tips on preparation and JD's blog post..wouldn't have passed without it!!!

So in order to give back, I'll share my own journey.

- Shon Harris AIO 5th - Read some of it, just seemed like to much detail/information - ended up being a good resource for topics that I needed additional reinforcement.
- Eric Conrad 2nd ed - great book and resource, however, I never completely read it cover to cover.
- Eric Conrad 11th hour - another great resource, but only skimmed it over the months.

- CISSP summary version 1.1 (2009) from cccure.org - while a bit dated, it provided the cleanest study resource.
- Info Sec Notes (FINAL) by Michael R Overly (CISSP) - not sure where I found this, but it was another very good resource (google it).

- CISSP review course - was good, but ended up not providing as much as others posted about how to approach and take the test.

- CCCure.org paid subscription was very good, although questions were more technical than actual exam; about 3500 questions.
- Transender - bought 60 day membership a week ago, used it for about 300 questions then went back to cccure.
- CBTNuggets (CISSP) - bought it a few days ago, was just ok IMO. Material covered in first 4 domains was opposite end of the spectrum compared to review course I took.
- Shon Harris MP3's - started out very good for drive to and from work, but I lost interest quick. Cryptology domain was the best of the 4 domains I actually completed.
- SANS video on CISSP exam taking strategy - can't remember the gentleman's name, but it was a fantastic resource. Highly recommend anyone sitting for the exam to watch it at least once, if not twice. Numerous folks on TE recommended it, thanks!!!

Total study time was about 8 months, my first attempt of exam was after 4 months. Failed the first attempt simply because I was not mentally prepared to sit for 6 hours, took many 250 question practice tests on cccure.org over the last couple of days as recommended by numerous members of the TE community.

I'll reiterate what anyone that has passed the exam stated, know the material in & out - memorizing it wont help you with the way the exam questions and scenarios are structured!

Beyond that...good luck to anyone sitting for the exam, hope my review helps someone else out!

Next up..not really sure, although a beer later this evening is my first stop!

-Datschmo

Comments

• Options
    moyondizvomoyondizvo Member Posts: 155
    Congratulations... icon_thumright.gif ... Good on you for not giving up and getting back into it.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Congrats and thanks for the feedback!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif Glad to see you did it!!!
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    You may want to put CISSP pending, since you arent certified yet, just an FYI. Congrats though!
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • Options
    NadzzNadzz Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Jake007Jake007 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass...
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • Options
    URG_PSH_FINURG_PSH_FIN Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your achievement!
    MS in Information Assurance - Regis University

2018 Goals - [ ] GSE Lab [ ] OSCP Enrollment
    Late 2018-Early 2019 Goals: [ ] RHCSA [ ] RHCE
  • Options
    ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Congratulations on your pass, and for hanging in there!
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. Definitely a difficult test ... well done.
  • Options
    t17hhat17hha Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! On-wards and Upwards :)
  • Options
    datschmodatschmo Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    And it's official..CISSP endorsement came through today. Not sure if it's a record or not, but I submitted paperwork to ISC/2 on April 15?
  • Options
    TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    I think that is a record, mine was 11 days.....
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida