Options

Software update manager/desktop management

SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
What kind of tools are out there to manage software updates on your desktops? I am talking the annoying trio of Microsoft, Adobe and Java related crap especially that annoy both users and myself on a regular basis. icon_rolleyes.gif I'd like to just find a way to perform them all after-hours automatically. Telling them all to download/install whenever is a bad idea as users either keep postponing them or they happen at the worst times.

Must be able to do more than just Windows updates. As I know there is WSUS for that.

Unidesk is awesome software, but that also requires a VMware View environment. Which is not happening anytime soon for me so I need a way to get better control over physical desktops.

Desktop Authority looks like it may do some of this. (FWIW I am in a 2008R2/Windows 7 environment.)
WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???

Comments

• Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SCCM, but it has a pretty solid learning curve. Very powerful though.
  • Options
    Does that require domain level admin access? If so, I won't be able to set that up. Powers above me would rather just make me pay them to do it, which is inefficient IMO.
  • Options
    You need some AD schema extensions installed, I think, but otherwise, I think as long as you have admin to the workstations to install the client, you will be OK? I only did one setup, and we had admin to the domain, but not the higher level AD (forest?). They had to install the schema and maybe make one other change.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    We have limited access to active directory so on machines that really matter I setup a scheduled task to run nightly and execute Ninite. Keeps all those annoying things up to date.

Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Grinch, that looks right up my alley. Simple and cheap. I've only 20 desktops and 20ish laptops. I could probably put that on all of them eventually during my free time.
  • Options
    I don't know that I would go with SCCM with only 40 clients - it probably isn't worth the trouble.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The initial install of sccm will require some elevated privileges but after that you can give yourself access within sccm to do all the configuring of updates and software installs. It is well worth it though. I am over our sccm servers/updates and it saves a lot of time and headache.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    SCCM is the best way to go. If you want something quick, free, and something that is only used maybe once and a while. Then use psexec. However, it does send the pwd you type in clear text across your network.

@WES

I used it for 40 clients and 37 servers at one point. If you want experience in the product (using it and installing it) then I would just use SCCM for that. Regardless of the trouble.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I haven't had a chance to play with this software yet, but it looks like what you need
    Local Update Publisher
  • Options
    SCCM is cool and all, but just seems like a lot of overhead for 40 clients, esp. when the OP was mostly looking for something to manage updates for a couple pieces of 3rd party software along with MS. I used 2007, and I hear 2012 is quite a bit easier to setup and use though.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Grinch, that looks right up my alley. Simple and cheap. I've only 20 desktops and 20ish laptops. I could probably put that on all of them eventually during my free time.

Someone on here suggested it and we've used it on all of conference room pcs (since they tend to be the ones missed). So far I haven't heard one complaint that it's popping up for updates.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Yeah. Those laptops that aren't used or updated daily. Then someone does a Powerpoint and popups for all this junk clutter the screen and you see them panic. ;)
  • Options
    I did a test of this with the trial. I really like it so far. Not a fan of the annual fee associated with it, but it more than pays for itself in my time spent doing these tasks manually or answering questions from users about updating.