Options

CCNA Security or CCDA?

rampagerampage Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi
Between CCNA Security and CCDA which one is better to get first in terms of job opportunity,popularity...?considering the fact that CCNP R+S and CCDP has a lot more in common than CCNP Security.

Comments

• Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Why not both? icon_cheers.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    webgeek wrote: »
    Why not both? icon_cheers.gif
    I edited my posticon_thumright.gif.Which one first ?I can't study both at the same time and I have to choose one of them.
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't have either but plan to by the end of next year and from what I understand it is recommended (I could be wrong) that you have CCNP before you try the CCDA so I would go with CCNA: Security first.
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Yes, according to most people doing CCDA after CCNP is much easier. However, IMHO, in terms of jobs opportunities CCDA will help you more since security jobs are hard to get into and require experience. CCNA:S is rarely enough to lend you a sec job if you haven't worked in the area while CCDA will be a plus in most networking jobs.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    I would recommend doing CCNP before CCDA. CCDA briefly goes over several of the subjects that are on the CCNP in actual detail. I would also recommend CCNA security before CCDA for this same reason so when you hear about VPN designs and IPS techniques you know what they are talking about (and I mean more than the meaning of the ACRONYM). Now I will agree with Master of Puppets that CCDA is best for landing a job (minus you going for CCNP), but most of the jobs looking for CCDA/DP are architect jobs.... would you want to design a car for GM b/c you know basics of a car (i.e. alternator charges battery; fuel pump delivers fuel, water pump cycles water/coolant), or would you want to design a car for GM b/c you know the "ins" and "outs" of how each component works and relates to the other.
  • Options
    xXErebuS wrote: »
    I would recommend doing CCNP before CCDA. CCDA briefly goes over several of the subjects that are on the CCNP in actual detail. I would also recommend CCNA security before CCDA for this same reason so when you hear about VPN designs and IPS techniques you know what they are talking about (and I mean more than the meaning of the ACRONYM). Now I will agree with Master of Puppets that CCDA is best for landing a job (minus you going for CCNP), but most of the jobs looking for CCDA/DP are architect jobs.... would you want to design a car for GM b/c you know basics of a car (i.e. alternator charges battery; fuel pump delivers fuel, water pump cycles water/coolant), or would you want to design a car for GM b/c you know the "ins" and "outs" of how each component works and relates to the other.

I'm currently working on my CCNA and since I lack the enough hands-on experience I thought another A-level certificate would be a better idea than CCNP.I've had lots of studies like these:

IPv6, Second Edition: Theory, Protocol, and Practice, 2nd Edition (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Networking): Pete Loshin: 9781558608108: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols (2nd Edition) (Addison-Wesley Professional Computing Series) (9780321336316): Kevin R. Fall, W. Richard Stevens: Books

So i think I can handle CCDA without working on CCNP.what's your opinion?
  • Options
    No other advice or opinion?icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try CCDA only after CCNP. I saw CCDA syllabus and it contains CCNP switching concepts.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    d6bmg wrote: »
    Try CCDA only after CCNP. I saw CCDA syllabus and it contains CCNP switching concepts.
    I can also confirm that people attempt CCDA at least after their SWITCH exam.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    d6bmgd6bmg Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I can also confirm that people attempt CCDA at least after their SWITCH exam.

I went through the syllabus of all. Then I have decided to purse CCNA-sec only after my CCNP.
    [ ]CCDA; [ ] CCNA Security
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    you dont need CCNP topics for CCNA:Security; but you do for CCDA... One of the first things that comes to mind is first hop redundancy protocols.
  • Options
    geccogecco Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As having had and recert'd already for CCDA and studying for CCNA Security right now, I would have to say get your CCNA Security first.
    The CCDA is a bit higher end than either the CCNA or CCNA Security because frankly design is a higher-end skillset. and is more conceptual.
    The foundation and emphasis you have for one will help the other, however because of all the building blocks of CCNA such as ACLs, Port Security, CDP, authentication and securing telent, ssh, etc, in my humble opinion, I think CCNA Security should be first. A great deal of CCDA was from real life experience and understanding the Cisco thinking about design principals and architecture for SMB networks, but there is little hands on.