http://www.eetimes.com/General/PrintView/4411382

I've had a chance to play with 10G(20Gb) point to point but nothing faster yet
with a couple of xilinx connectivity kits
Xilinx Kintex-7 FPGA Connectivity Board

latest xilinx kit for 40Gb
Xilinx Virtex-7 FPGA VC709 Connectivity Kit

Seen a few cards with 100Gb connections and lots of pr
single chip for 400G (fpga)
Xilinx Showcases 400G Applications for Optical and Wired OTN Markets at OFC 2013 - Mar 11, 2013
Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interesting! I'm having enough "fun" with 40/100 GbE, I wouldn't mind waiting a bit for 400/1000 GbE. :p

The next big thing seems to be moving from 10 to 25 Gbps electrical lanes.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I have seen 100GB adapters in use in Brocade's lab in San Jose. Your fiber link has to be extremely clean.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had some guys in from out network WAN provider, we are just upgrading our wan links and he was going though what could be supplied, and while the suggestion of duel 40G lines with the option to upgrade to 100G was a nice offer, for now I think I will stick with the 100mb :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    hoelscherahoelschera Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    10/20Gb is a TON of bandwidth. I don't think most people realize how much that is really. 400Gb is ridiculous...
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    40 GB was not good enough in the bay area, these things are really aimed toward the service provider anyway.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    I know one of our backup sites have two 25 GB bandwidth pipes coming into it. I think the main has two 50 GIGs. I would love to see 400 :)
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Wow. We have a few 10 GB links and even those are utilized at like 5% maximum.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    10/20Gb is a TON of bandwidth. I don't think most people realize how much that is really. 400Gb is ridiculous...

You say that but we run on the same network as places like the LHC in CERN. In research people can generate terabytes of date in short time frames, and you need to get them to remote sites quickly. People want to be able to copy and paste and only have to wait a few minutes not a few hours.

So you get in the case of ISP's many small data streams that keep a 100gb connection saturated, or cases such as research where for 90% of the time the link is barley used. But is there to shift large data sets as needed. And when you are shifting 100 of terabytes around 10/20Gb is just a bit slow.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Edge/Corner cases and service providers.