Options

Moving From Help Desk

bobjcbobjc Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone. I'm new here, but I've lurked for quite a while.

For a little background, I've been at this help desk position for over a year now. It's within a small school district in rural PA so there's not a whole lot of networking or moving up that can be done (though I'm open to advice on this). I've been starting to look around to move up from the help desk and the most common thing I see moving towards some sort of Network Admin or Sys Admin position.

I have my A+, but I was just wondering what kind of career paths I can go to from here and what certification recommendations you guys have. For networking, I figured that either Network+ or CCNA is the way to go in conjunction with some Microsoft or Linux certs. If, for some reason, I wanted to go into Security, what would be my ideal path that way?

Thanks for all your help guys! You all lay down some pretty good information for previous lurkers like me.

Comments

• Options
    dehgrahdehgrah Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recommend getting your Network+ and go for a Microsoft certification either Windows 7 or MCITP, once you acquired those certs jump to CCNA.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dehgrah wrote: »
    I recommend getting your Network+ and go for a Microsoft certification either Windows 7 or MCITP, once you acquired those certs jump to CCNA.

I followed a similar path for moving into a Systems/Network Administrator role. I would go after the Security+ as a starting point if you decide to move into that direction before moving to higher security cert specializations if you like it. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Network+ then Security+ and then Linux if you are comfortable with networking you can skip the Network+ and go straight for the Security+ and Linux they make a good base for your security penchant. I don't know about your area but check job posting and see what more in demand Cisco or Microsoft much as I would like to say Cisco most likely Microsoft is going to be the way to go unless you move to a different area.
  • Options
    bobjcbobjc Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice!

I got my Network+ and Security+ books in the mail today. I passed the A+ in about a month and a half just studying the book after work. From the job sites I've looked at, most of the companies around here are a good split between Microsoft and Cisco based. Is it a good idea to get both or should I focus on one or the other?
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you don't pursue the CCNP yes get the Microsoft to complement the CCNA.